Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times

Advertisements

albainy- thanks for your post, we will now be running gas lines to the cooktop and stubbing them out just in case we want to switch to propane.

William Sonoma sells a flat bottom 14" wok (hand hammered carbon steel) for around $30.00, they claim works well on induction cooktops.

We have All Clad copper core cookware so that will not be a problem. So sad about your Soapstone cookware. Have you thought about a portable, electric element? Might be worth it so you can use your cookware?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:54 AM

69 posts, read 114,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
albainy- thanks for your post, we will now be running gas lines to the cooktop and stubbing them out just in case we want to switch to propane.

William Sonoma sells a flat bottom 14" wok (hand hammered carbon steel) for around $30.00, they claim works well on induction cooktops.

We have All Clad copper core cookware so that will not be a problem. So sad about your Soapstone cookware. Have you thought about a portable, electric element? Might be worth it so you can use your cookware?

That sounds like a great solution.
Did you select a cooktop yet?

Thanks for the wok tip. I've had my eye on the Lecreuset purple wok for years, but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. 30$ and hand hammered carbon still sounds great instead.

My solution was to get a nicer grill than we might have otherwise chosen. It has a burner on the side that I planned to use the soapstone on, but in fact I never used that yet. I'd thought of a portable burner of some sort, and perhaps I'll end up doing so for the winter?

Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 6,361 times
Default GE Profile and GE Cafe Are Both Great Models

I like the GE Profile, too. The GE cooktops are well made and most customers love them. And although the model FrogCross has isn't made anymore, there is a newer model available. It has a bridge element that the old one didn't have which allows you to use the burners on the left like one big burner (for griddles and such, a very nice feature). It is also one of the most powerful induction cooktops available. However, the controls leave something to be desired, and for about $400 more, you can get all these great features plus a very usable control panel in the GE Cafe. It's a big jump, but if you hate the idea of electronic controls, it may be worth it to you. (It was to me.) Here's a great review with a lot of basic information about making the switch to induction cooktops: Induction Cooktops: We Review the Best Built-Ins of 2016

Hope this is helpful to someone. I love induction technology!

Old 10-13-2016, 11:44 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
So on induction you can't cook on low heat?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:36 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
So on induction you can't cook on low heat?

Of course you can; some even have a "simmer" setting.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:12 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Of course you can; some even have a "simmer" setting.
Someone else in this thread said you can't lower the heat, just the time it's on.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Someone else in this thread said you can't lower the heat, just the time it's on.

IF that were really true, how many cooktops do you think manufacturers would have sold?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I have the Nuwave Induction Cooktop that I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond several years ago, I use
every day.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:41 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
OP, when you decide on your purchase, pls let us know which one you will get and your shopping experience like pros and cons to the models you considered. Thanks in adv.
Just over a year later.........lots of research. We are going with Thermador for a couple of reasons.
We are outfitting an entire kitchen so all appliances were considered. The induction ranges pretty much performed the same so we priced several packages.
The Thermador 36" Masterpiece Series has a 13" eye, the option of no trim and 5 eyes. They also had the best "package deal"
Looking forward to this new experience but stubbing in for gas just in case

Old 10-17-2016, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 6,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Just over a year later.........lots of research. We are going with Thermador for a couple of reasons.
Oh, I'm jealous! That's a beautiful unit, jerseyj. State of the art! I hope you keep us updated on how you like it! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House