Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 05:36 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house.

The neighbor had a BIG boat on a trailer parked on the side of his house, which meant to clear his flower beds there,and the shear size of it, it had to sit on our new property's side yard too.

Fortunately that house also sold,and they moved, so we didn't have to get into a fight over it as I WOULDN'T permit his parking it on OUR yard!

Our back yard is fenced in, and I like that idea, we will STILL have a survey done to be sure it is "copasetic".
We are quiet neighbors, and keep pretty much to ourselves, so.. we should have no problems, though there are nosy neighbors in any neighborhood.

Same with our roll off dumpster to purge here,...we had it parked IN our driveway so as to discourage anyone else from dumping into it! Doesn't mean they won't ...

PEOPLE DO HAVE NERVE...especially when one isn't around!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
You'll be living there soon. I'd just overlook it and assume it will stop when you move in. Suffice to say your neighbors are... um... struggling to find a word and National Lampoon's Vacation keeps coming to mind.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
You might have to give them the hairy eyeball and say something like, "From now on my stuff stays over here and I promise not to borrow any of your stuff. I think we'll get along fine that way." Then smile and walk away without any conversation about it.

Just need to set firm boundaries.

A response to someone wanting to "borrow" something I learned when I lived in the country from other people, was to say, "I've got plans for that."

Uh, no, you can't borrow my pooper scooper or my hammer because I've got plans for it. Smile. Walk away.

I also like to say things like, "You can get them on sale for a pretty good deal sometimes." Smile. Walk away.

All of the above translating to: "I am not your personal free Home Depot store."

Old 10-22-2015, 10:46 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I could go on about "neighbors" I've had in three different states but I'm now a firm believer that big fences and padlocks cannot even make for neighborly modern neighbors. It take acreage.
I absolutely love my extra high, beautiful redwood fence with privacy lattice and though I'd like a larger lot, it would have to come with privacy fencing I could lock.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:42 AM

761 posts, read 832,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Wow, where do is this?
This is in Woodlake, Vass, NC.

Generally pretty good people.
I want to get along with them since we are all in a 4 row block of condos here.
You almost have to get along.
It will cease when I am here full time.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:56 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Years ago I purchased a house that had been vacant for about 4 years. When we looked at the house, there was a car in the driveway. The realtor said the neighbors parked in the driveway so it looked like someone lived there. At first I thought that was just neighbors looking out for each other. Nope. I introduced myself to the neighbor after we closed and mentioned that we would be moving in and what day. The woman was friendly enough but I could tell she was a little on the trashy side. She said no problem.

The day we showed up with the moving truck, their car was in the driveway. So I had to block traffic so I could run up to the their door and ask them to move their car. When we left for work, they parked in our driveway. I didn't realize until I came home for lunch and couldn't even pull in my driveway. i was ticked. They basically owned too many cars and relied on having our driveway space. It was a battle. They just kept doing it. Their friends got used to using our driveway too because sometimes when I was home, I would hear a car pull into my drive, park behind my car and go into the house next door. Drove me nuts and I couldn't believe the nerve. I think it took about a year before they stopped doing it. I was told by a relative that when they came by to check on our cats while we were on vacation, the neighbors were in our driveway. Ugh. I was happy when we moved.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:38 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,890 times
I'd call the cops. It's called theft and enough is enough.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
That's trespassing. You don't have to put up with it. Call the cops and if necessary post "no trespassing" signs.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I'd do even more than the others suggest - - I'd put the house on the market and move into a rental. Believe me, you don't need this kind of problem right now when you are in the middle of a divorce. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and anything you can do to lower your stress right now is worth the effort. OK, maybe you can do that without selling but it's something to keep in mind just in case.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
YES, this story does not surprise me in the least, not even a tiny bit.....a LOT of the human populace can be, and many times are, total buttholes.

I would rather live in a shack, on 3 acres.....as opposed to living right next to many of the people who populate Murrrca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House