Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 07:34 AM

6 posts, read 15,213 times

Advertisements

Looking at homes in the Plano, TX area and many have electric cooktops in the center island. House is on a slab. Any experience converting to gas? Costs? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:59 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
The first question- is gas available/already at house?

Second question- single story/two story?

Single story- saw cut slab to nearest interior wall, then pipe to the attic. Once in the attic, the pipe can be run to the trunkline.
Two story- saw cut to the exterior wall, run pipe to the meter.

One big word of caution- if the slab is a PTC (Post Tension Cable) slab
You may or maynot be able to cut slab- takes someone very familiar with this type of slab to cut/repair.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Wanted to add. If the stab is post tension there usually is (should be) a stamp in the garage in a corner stating it is a post tension cable foundation. Post tension slab needs to be X-ray'ed. It's very important you do this before you drill holes in post tension. You don't want to drill into a cable
I had a buddy in a similar situation, who did his house with gas. We X-ray'ed the slab, cored a hole between the cables then from the outside we dug in the side f the house to get under the slab, shoved a plastic pipe screwed to a hose and turned the water on digging a hole under the slab using water to jet the dirt away. Took a while and it was messy but it works. Kind of the same way you get a pipe under a walk way.
When we were done we ran the gas pipe from the outside to the hole inside and put a nipple. Pipe was wrapped in plastic tape. Then we trenches to the water heater. We let the plumber do the outside pipe run and final connection. . We pumped mortar mix to backfill the hole through a 2 inch pipe. We used a 1/2 inch conduit with shaved down cap attached to it and the 2 inch pipe as a big syringe. We would pour mortar in the 2 inch pipe and rammed the 1/2 inch plunger. I don't know if we didn't leave any empty solace but we got a lot in there. Inspector was ok with the plan and passed the job after the pressure readings were acceptable

Old 10-27-2015, 07:16 PM

773 posts, read 785,909 times
Are you guys saying they use post tension when pouring slabs for houses? I've never heard of that. All the post tension I've run across in my 35 years in construction was in multi-story buildings.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Just replace the "electric" cooktop with an induction cooktop.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:41 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
Are you guys saying they use post tension when pouring slabs for houses?
Yes!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 AM

663 posts, read 1,618,899 times
I am in a slab-foundation home and the attic has the water heater. So there are gas lines there.

Is it as simple as running an extension down to the kitchen? (I understand it has to by done by a certified person)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House