Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. I finally gave up on my old washer (came with the house), which has never worked well ... bought a new one that will be delivered and hooked up by Home Depot this Friday 11/6. The problem is, I have to UN-install (i.e. disconnect) the old one, and of course I have never done that before.

I did an online search thinking "How hard can it be?", but my water connections don't look like the ones I saw online (with faucets to turn the water off before disconnecting). This is where the hoses are attached on mine:

No faucets, although the previous owner of the house kindly noted C and H above the connections.

You can't really see in the photo, but at the front of each of those C/H connections from the wall is a "groove" -- looks like it could be turned right/left with a large-regular-head screwdriver (assuming I can pull out the washer first, otherwise the fit is too "tight" for me to even be able to get a screwdriver in there -- but there does seem to be plenty of "slack" in the water lines to the washer to enable me to pull it out to reach the water connections in the wall). Is that how I shut off the water? Or does it have something to do with that dark brown "knob" in the middle?

HD won't install unless I take out the old one, of course, and I'm trying to avoid calling a plumber for what is supposed to be a fairly easy job.

Any ideas? Pretty please? I am generous with reps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
That's actually pretty common valve, the brown knob closes both valves. Just pull on it, it should move about 90 degrees.

If you don;t know where it's at find your main shut off in case they leak.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's actually pretty common valve, the brown knob closes both valves. Just pull on it, it should move about 90 degrees.

OK, I feel pretty silly ... I'd had a friend (handyman-type!) look at the washer when it was being ornery ... he apparently turned the water OFF (pulled up on that knob) and never turned it back on. The next time I tried to use it, I got only a bit of water -- well, duh, only the water that was in the hoses, because the water was shut off!! I had never noticed that the knob had been moved.

So I just pulled the lever DOWN 90 degrees and gee, big surprise, the washer started loading water without a problem. I am running a tiny "test load" to see if I can cancel my new washer ... although the current washer has been inconsistent in the past so maybe I should just bite the bullet and replace it ...

But in any case, THANK YOU -- what a simple solution. Sometimes I feel really, really dumb.

Reps to you, of course! (ETA: Well, I've rep'd you too recently ... will come back to this thread every day 'til I can rep you again!)

Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
The slots in the front are screw valves to allow you to adjust the mixture of hot and cold.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

repped you on Karen's behalf. Helpful answer, with no snark. Always nice to see!

Old 11-04-2015, 04:09 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
here is what that valve looks like when new

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...pply-valve.jpg

Old 11-06-2015, 08:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Sometimes water flow can be impeded when screen washers are used... was very common at one time to screen out sediment.

My Grandmother's ancient Speed Queen would take forever to fill... turned out the little black rubber washers for the hose connection had screens that were clogged.

Those single handle water supplies are nice in that they are easy to turn off and on... especially if you will be away...

Old 11-07-2015, 02:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Learn something new everyday. I have never seen connections like this. I would probably go for the new washer anyway if the last one is giving you some trouble. You know how it goes, the washer will die at the worst possible time.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:31 PM

Default update!!

Just thought I'd give an update (I often forget to do so, but I always like to see the ENDS of stories too!). I've done probably 10 loads of laundry in the past week (WAY more than I would usually do in this amount of time), and the washing machine has worked fine. I (still) feel pretty silly, and I cancelled the delivery of the new washer (and saved many hundreds of dollars!).

I may need to buy one again in a few months (or hopefully a few years), but for now, everything seems fine.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:15 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,612 times
This thread is an example of why I think EVERY homeowner(or whatever) regardless or gender should know basic home maintenance, how to turn water/NG on/off, KNOW the smell of NG when leaking, how to change furnace filters, how to reset electric breakers, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House