Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 06:22 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We just bought a house here in Houston that has this new-ish ground level deck which is right up against the house.
I've seen this kind of thing a lot down here especially where people are covering small concrete patios.
As you can see, the deck is pretty much level with the threshold to the french doors.
The only issue is that a piece of baseboard molding at the bottom of the door's frame INSIDE the house has some swelling from moisture. It's a square block at the very bottom of the door casing. So obviously some water has made it's way in.
Is this just a case of needing to seal the exterior with some caulk or something?
With putting a deck right agains the slab, is some kind of flashing needed?
I haven't moved in yet so I haven't yet been able to investigate if any kind of flashing currently exists.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:49 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
If I had to guess- the door units were not properly sealed under the threshold.

As a general rule you wouldn't have the deck flush with the threshold; it would be a 3-4" step down. This prevents water from penetrating at the threshold.

Is it catastrophic, no. Can it be corrected, yes. Is it worth it annually, no. Constant monitoring of threshold, weatherstripping, caulk, etc. just to be sure you're not getting saturated.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Agree. It could have been driven rain that caused the issue, not the deck.

In Houston, I might consider extending the roof out to create a shaded portion of the deck to make it more useful in hot sunny weather. That would kill two birds with one stone.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Thank you both.

harry, yes... eventually we will add some sort of overhang/covering.
We have also talked about adding gutters along the back roof line.

Also, some new info has been passed along... seems as though that particular door wasn't closing properly/tight enough at the threshold and is being fixed.

If looking at the first photo, you can see there is a small gap between the deck and the moldings.
Is this something you would caulk? Or does it need to "breathe" or allow water to run under and drain down?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Gutters will probably help more than anything else! All that rain running off the roof, splashing on the deck, and onto the door, threshold, etc.

Obviously, the door units are not original to the house. So, whatever was done to accommodate the units could also effect weather tightness. Personally, I think I would return to the 4-panel sliders that were probably there originally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House