Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Had my first meeting with my house builder this afternoon, went in with the plans and then.......he starts asking me questions that I have no clue of how to answer!

Real wood floors vs manufactured wood

Granite counter tops?

What kind of sink furnishings do you want?

About the only thing I could answer was that I didn't want carpeting.....just wood floors ...... to be covered by oriental rugs that I would provide.

Why didn't they tell me it would be like this? I didn't know I needed to study before this first meeting, no one told me that I needed these answers, are real people suppose to know about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 02:51 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yep... you need to know about those, and many other things!

There will be hundreds of decisions that depend upon you answering questions like that.
Get used to it!

So you want wood floor....
Solid or engineered?
Site finished or factory finished?
What grade of wood?
What cut of wood?
What species of wood?
What color stain?
Handscraped?
What width(s)?
Any design elements?
etc..

And that is just for the wood floor.

Granite is the worst, IMHO. From picking the stone down to edges, it is a time-suck.

ETA: No, pulls and handles are the worst for me. WAY too many choices!

Old 11-30-2015, 03:20 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
JUst take it one step at a time.

You are a LONG way from worrying about floors and countertops.

First comes foundation....block or poured?

Framing? 2X4 or 2X6?

Windows?

Sheathing?

Roof shingles...color/style?

Outside finish? Brick? Stone? Hardiplank? Wood?

And on and on.

Pull together every article, picture, book, clipping, picture etc. you can find which expresses what you are looking for.

Sit down the with the architect/builder/designer and start piecing it together. One step at a time.

Then, make sure ALL of it is in your contract. Every board, element, fastener, accoutrement, finish etc......right down to waste disposal, permits, outhouse and "no smoking" inside the house. Leave nothing to chance/choice or "well see when we get there".

It is daunting, but it all follows a logical process. You make decisions one at a time, and finally you end up driving around with a chunk of granite, a few paint chips, a piece of flooring, a few floor/shower tiles, a hunk of fireplace stone/brick and a cabinet door....and you get to make the final decisions that it all "goes" together.

It's all fun! Do only what you can sanely handle at each step, then take a deep breath (and a big cocktail!).

Old 11-30-2015, 03:36 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Had my first meeting with my house builder this afternoon, went in with the plans and then.......he starts asking me questions that I have no clue of how to answer!

Real wood floors vs manufactured wood

Granite counter tops?

What kind of sink furnishings do you want?

About the only thing I could answer was that I didn't want carpeting.....just wood floors ...... to be covered by oriental rugs that I would provide.

Why didn't they tell me it would be like this? I didn't know I needed to study before this first meeting, no one told me that I needed these answers, are real people suppose to know about this?
Yes, Tamara, you do need to think about these things. What did you think it would be like? You're building a home, and there are a hundreds of decisions coming your way. Prepare yourself.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:42 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Don't forget to ask how much extra each choice will cost (assuming there is a base cost). That might help you make some of the choices.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:43 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
How exciting! I will happily trade places with you. We built our home in ky and choosing the finishes was fun. But then, I'm the daughter of two realtors so I had a solid idea of what I wanted.

Make sure you have a copy of every choice, including pictures, because it's going to be months before you see those finishes. Keep on top of everything that goes in the house. It's too easy for something to be mixed up or ordered wrong.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:46 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, Tamara, you do need to think about these things. What did you think it would be like? You're building a home, and there are a hundreds of decisions coming your way. Prepare yourself.
Exactly. This is the whole point of building your own home.
You get to choose all the finishes and make it yours.
Look through home magazines and find things you like to use as general reference.
Or hire an interior designer.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:50 PM

165 posts, read 174,715 times
It's true. Building our home was probably the most stressful time in our marriage.

Your builder wants to give you a price, I expect, and so needs to know your choices. There's a huge price range in flooring, countertops, cabinetry, plumbing fixtures, lighting fixtures, hardware... I'm sure you'll soon be overwhelmed with decisions, so by all means start right away thinking about your best case scenarios. Financial realities may rear their ugly heads and you may have to make some difficult compromises, but you will.

I'm here to tell you: house construction has a beginning, a middle, and an end. You'll reach the end and it will be worth it because you'll have a house that you love because the options are yours every step of the way.

Good luck! You got this, AND it ends!

Oh! I wanted to add: once you have a contract and price try not to change anything. Changes are very expensive because you have to pay for it to be done, to be undone, and to be re-done.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
You'd better start doing your research....otherwise some things have to wait for your decisions and impact other things down the line. You'll get behind schedule very quickly. If you have a good contractor/builder they can tell you the order in which and when you need to decide stuff by. Start looking at magazines!

I mean, why are you building if you have no clear preferences? If you don't care, you "buy off the rack" like everyone else! It's soooo much easier! (Me, I love customizing!)

Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You'd better start doing your research....otherwise some things have to wait for your decisions and impact other things down the line. You'll get behind schedule very quickly. If you have a good contractor/builder they can tell you the order in which and when you need to decide stuff by. Start looking at magazines!

I mean, why are you building if you have no clear preferences? If you don't care, you "buy off the rack" like everyone else! It's soooo much easier! (Me, I love customizing!)
Yep. And if you get behind, it starts costing you more money.

If you have a trusted friend who is at least handy, they can help you understand some of the decisions you need to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House