Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times

Advertisements

Are you a clean freak--do you enjoy working around your home? or do you prefer a very relaxed look--do you think worrying about cleaning is a waste of time?
Do you cringe when you think of your spouse doing the laundry? Do you appreciate it when Mom stops over and the dishes finally get done?
Did you have to do chores as a kid?
What's your least favorite room to clean?
Any good stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 AM

622 posts, read 2,709,617 times
I am a clean freak, but I'm not afraid to leave a mess once in awhile if I'm not in the mood to clean. I mostly dislike clutter and coming from a food service background, I am very aware of germs. But I don't fold my linens all nice and neat, and I don't care if my fiance does the laundry... but I do hate it when he leaves a mess around the coffee pot EVERY MORNING! Sugar, coffee grounds, blech.

I love to clean, actually... turn up the tunes, dance and sing around the house, jam out... its fun. Although it might look silly to someone peeking in my window.

I hate dishes. I do them, but I always leave them for last.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:50 AM

46 posts, read 200,059 times
I am a clean freak, but it is hard to keep the house "perfect" with 4 kids that do not do chores. I enjoy deep cleaning...But I hate picking up.

Last edited by Boxsixpack; 11-09-2006 at 09:00 AM..

Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Okay, let me try this again. I put a message here on this topic, and apparently it went POOF! That was weird! Anyway, I'm not a clean freak, although I do keep my house reasonably clean. I can't stand clutter. I like everything in it's place.

I hate cleaning bathrooms! That's the one cleaning chore I put off longer than I should. I'd rather go outside and work.

I don't mind doing dishes. In fact, I don't even have a dishwasher. I'd actually rather do them by hand. Which is one reason that I would insist on having a window over the sink, as I do now, should I ever move. I like watching the critters, especially the silly squirrels!

My husband doesn't do laundry, unless I'm sick, (rare, thank goodness), or out of town, (also rare). However, my son does his own laundry. He's twenty now, so he should be, but he's been doing his own clothes since he was at least twelve or thirteen. Which, for some odd reason, I've had some mothers look at me aghast, as though I should still be doing his laundry! I don't think so! Please tell me that I'm not the only mother who insisted her children, (the boy, as well as the girl), learn how to do laundry, for goodness' sake.

Absolutely, I had chores as a kid! Not only did I do dishes, and other inside chore, I also chopped and hauled firewood and hauled water, (until we got running water). I helped irrigate, dig fence post holes, and straighten fences, chopped ice in the watering trough, pitched hay, milked the cow, fed the chickens, helped doctor the cows, deliver calves, helped with the branding, castrating, dehorning, help take care of the horses...whew! I'm getting tired, just thinking about all that work! I was in good shape, though. And, all that experience comes in handy whenever my best friend goes out of town, and asks me to look after her critters. I can still remember my way around a barn!

I also had the joy of using an outhouse for a few years, again, until we got running water/plumbing inside. Needless to say, THAT is something I don't miss!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 200,059 times
CelticLady1
You just got me thinking.....My two older boy's are 11 and 14 and don't do their own laundry I guess I worry.. . will they take time to use (spray-n-wash) and and put the right colors together. My boys have waited for bedtime to walk up to me and say "Hey mom I need my football Jersey washed for in the morning. He could of told me right after school..
When my boys get home from school and football practice tonight we are going to have a Practice lesson on "How to do laundry" We can atleast start with towls, rags, and blankets.
Thank you CelticLady1

Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
I like my house clean, and somehow if I know someone is coming over, I find the miraculous energy to thoroughly clean what I normally superficially clean...!! I don't like cleaning toilets and that happened to be the only place when my parents came in June that my mom gave me feedback on.."Honey...you don't have to have black rings in your toilet you know..".. dang! Then since I didn't act quickly on her "SUBTLE" hint, she went out and bought bleach tablets for the water reservoirs and left a pumice bar next to the toilet ... OK!!! I GET THE HINT!!!
Then this morning I got up and found smeared pooh stains on the laundry room floor tracking across the kitchen tiles in ever decreasing intensity...CRAP! One of the cats had stuck a paw into his own pooh and then tried to wipe it off on the way out. That wasn't pleasant and of course I got out the Clorox bleach wipes and got to work. I think their bodies didn't like the soft canned food I gave them yesterday and I was trying to give them an unexpected treat. I don't like clutter and I don't like dirt and I go full out with the floors and counters when I clean as I won't eat in the kitchen if it's not spotless, especially with cats doing God knows what walking everywhere when you aren't looking...

Old 11-09-2006, 10:40 AM

Boxsixpack,

Honey, you're on the right track! What started me on it was my daughter. She is the older one, and when she was about twelve, she would pile up days worth of her laundry, (everyone had their own basket), then bring it to me when I was washing. I would take it back to her room and dump it on her floor. When she pitched a fit, I told her flat-out she was going to learn how to do her own laundry, if she couldn't be courteous and give me normal amounts to wash, (I washed almost every day), instead of shoving three or more loads of hers at me, at one time. Your boys need to learn that same courtesy, and learn not to take you for granted. You're not their personal maid!

Don't worry about mistakes. A couple of times of not using stain remover, or mixing their coloreds with their whites, which will give them pink, (or some other odd color) underwear, and they will learn to listen to your laundry lessons. Good luck!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM

MoMark,

I can't begin to decribe how hard I laughed at your two stories, especially the cat one! Been there, done that! The things we put up with, just to have our cats! And dogs...

I know what you're saying about the kitchen. I can't stand being in a dirty kitchen. It drives me crazy! And, my cat sometimes jumps up on the counter or table, although she knows that will get her in trouble. Who knows what's on her feet. I love her to death, but she is a cat.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
MoMark,

I can't begin to decribe how hard I laughed at your two stories, especially the cat one! Been there, done that! The things we put up with, just to have our cats! And dogs...

I know what you're saying about the kitchen. I can't stand being in a dirty kitchen. It drives me crazy! And, my cat sometimes jumps up on the counter or table, although she knows that will get her in trouble. Who knows what's on her feet. I love her to death, but she is a cat.
I'm laughing now too, but I was annoyed earlier! The little boogers are adorable, but dang, a lot of work! And it was clear whichever cat had stepped in his own pooh had tried to wipe it off on the floor.. ssssmmmeeeaaarrrr I get thoroughly disgusted with toilets and litter boxes... and I've noticed that no matter how often I clean it, they find a way to make a mess out of it. One of the most annoying things is that when I mop the laundry room floor (and I have to frequently because I walk around barefoot in the house and the thought of ....well...'nuff said!) the cats JUST HAVE to use the box while the floor is wet...so I get mud tracks.. Then I have to wait for it all to dry so I can sweep it up. And then the cats walk around my head in the morning at sunrise and I become aware of them and then I'm thinking....UH OH...not on my pillows...PLEASE! Oh well...I've survived living in Love Canal so far

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I am clean freak, but not so much a neat freak, I like things clean, but clutter doesn't bother me too much. For some reason I cannot keep the bar area in the kitchen cleared off! My husband says because it's flat I can't stand dishes in the sink either. My house may not always be neat but it is clean. Oh yea and I HATE to dust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House