Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post

My question is, why so many different exterior finishes on a single family residence? In my mind, it looks pretty cobbled.
Obviously so people know it's a McMansion. You need multiple incongruous architectural features to distinguish a true McMansion from just any old large house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:29 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
That's the modern southern home these days. Rock, brick, and whatever. The picture OP posted is hardly a McMansion. That's just a typical house being built in Texas these days, and I'm sure it'll look fine when its complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Obviously so people know it's a McMansion. You need multiple incongruous architectural features to distinguish a true McMansion from just any old large house.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:38 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
I'm sure it will look OK when finished. I'm just not sure I could put up with what appears to be 2 different colors of windows.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:45 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
The picture OP posted is hardly a McMansion.
Hardly? It is the definition of McMansion.

And since he chose to have one (siding to save money is part of it), there's nothing wrong with it.
It is what he wanted and is happy with! (or will be once the mortar is repaired....)

Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,413 times
Then I suppose all modern homes being built in communities all over Texas are McMansions, huh? Sometimes things don't have to be other things. In this case, it's just a house. This is how we build things down here, and that's the norm. Sorry you feel the need to label it negatively because it's not what you are used to in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hardly? It is the definition of McMansion.

And since he chose to have one (siding to save money is part of it), there's nothing wrong with it.
It is what he wanted and is happy with! (or will be once the mortar is repaired....)

Old 12-22-2015, 12:41 PM

26 posts, read 74,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The white can't just be applied over what is there. They will have to remove the front 1" prox of grey mortar and then fill back with the white. If they just skim coat the mortar line, it will be falling out in a few years. When they fill the white back they need to make sure that the brick is wet. Not water running off of it but damp enough for the waters of the brick and white mortar to bond together or it won't stick. Lucky for you the summer heat is gone or it could be a real issue.
Just my own observations having built all over Texas. This house is being built in Houston. You can tell by the trash every where at the jobsite. If the inspectors here have to walk over anything- you just failed inspection. The houses must be clean as well as the outside free of debris. From the pics, I'd just about bet this is a Toll Bros house. Butchered up roofs and far too much contrasting brick and rock, which seems to be the rage these days. I hope you have structural panels at the garage short walls especially living in Houston. Wind loads over there can be extreme in a hurricane. They've had structural failures in Houston from it and not conforming to IRC wind loads. Texas, the entire State, is an IRC required State regardless of where it's built.
Thank you for the input. I will check on the garage structural panels.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Then I suppose all modern homes being built in communities all over Texas are McMansions, huh?
I have no idea, as I do not live in Texas.

Quote:
This is how we build things down here, and that's the norm. Sorry you feel the need to label it negatively because it's not what you are used to in your area.
Then the norm is a McMansion. And I do not see what you have to feel sorry about... I am sure it is not your doing at all!

Not used to in my area? You are right.
I am in the northeast, where houses like that are rarely built. We do not have much flat terrain, most housing is two stories plus a basement, and garages in the front of the house are rare.

And it is not my label... you give me far too much credit! And I did not mention it as a negative, although some - and apparently you - think it so.

Google is your friend. You will see plenty of examples, and that house fits right in.
You can also check a dictionary for a definition.
I have nothing to do with either.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
... This is how we build things down here, and that's the norm. .

From the State that gave us some Bushes and Cruz.....and the guy (Delay?) who got put away for fraud. bribes or whatever it was.

All definitely, like the real estate pictures,. "different".

Old 12-22-2015, 01:03 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
We live in a 26 year old custom home in Central Texas, in a neighborhood of large custom homes, and most (if not all) second story homes have Hardie-siding on the second floor. The DCC&Rs specify that a home be 75% masonry, and Hardie counts as "masonry". In addition, the style of our house is more traditional, with a wooden front porch and accents. All brick would look weird and definitely not country. To be honest, brick isn't particularly needed here. We've had no issues with the siding due to storms and it has held up for over 20 years. The winters aren't as harsh as the NE.

With the OP's house, however, that patch of siding is distracting, to go along with the brick. I'd definitely make them fix it or hold up closing. You don't have to accept it! It looks bad!

Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
From the State that gave us some Bushes and Cruz.....and the guy (Delay?) who got put away for fraud. bribes or whatever it was.

All definitely, like the real estate pictures,. "different".
Yup. People just can't resist taking pot shots at Texas, even in a House forum. Go fig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House