Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:29 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times

Advertisements

We just bought a 40-year old house. Our whole house inspector's report notes the water heater vent connector terminates within a Transite (asbestos cement) flue pipe which does not meet present standards. He said the local buildings dept might require upgrading when the furnace is replaced but otherwise no problems noted.

We had a contractor check out the flue as well. He said all homes built at the time used the same flue vent stack, but it could be changed to a "B" vent 3" flue pipe ($145). We were going to have him do this work before we moved in, but I'm wondering now if it's a good idea to mess around with the flue if there's nothing wrong with it -- ie, shouldn't we leave it alone since it's asbesots?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Well if it has exposed asboestos:I would think it would be better top remove it so has not to get dust from it.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Transite pipe was used all the time. If it is not friable or damaged, it is probably not much of a risk. You can leave it in place without much problem.

Keep in mind that removing it, will probably result in some minor fiber release, just because you are moving it around to remove it. Depending on the length, and how is installed, it can be very difficult to remove.

Your local building dept. can tell you their take on what you have to do and when. When I lived in So. CA, I dealt with transite pipe a lot, since most of the houses in my area had floor furnaces that vented up through the roof. Those pipes were next to impossible to remove without damaging them.

My advice is to leave it alone for as long as you can. If the surface is rough you can always coat it with latex encapsulation paint to protect the surface from damage and fiber release.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Leave it in place. Unless you make a habit of sniffing the exhaust from the top of the stack, you won't be exposed to any asbestos. Even if you were, the hazards have been WAY overblown by the legal profession. I (and countless others) grew up with asbestos in floor tiles, asbestos in toasters, asbestos in exterior siding, asbestos in shingles, asbestos covering the steam pipes at the local school, asbestos in brake linings, and asbestos in numerous other products. I used to help my father cut asbestos cement sheets with a skillsaw to make the tops of workbenches for electronics repair. I used to regularly drive through a town where asbestos was mined, and the road was covered in asbestos dust.

Asbestos MINERs did have health issues. The average person did not, unless they smoked heavily. Compared to the levels of asbestos we all used to get, an asbestos cement flue is absolutely nothing. However, asbestos cement in a properly installed pipe IS one of the safest flue pipes you could have.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Leave it in place. Unless you make a habit of sniffing the exhaust from the top of the stack, you won't be exposed to any asbestos.
I agree, leave it alone. Asbestos is very effective and only dangerous if you are breathing it.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Very well said......

Quote:
Leave it in place. Unless you make a habit of sniffing the exhaust from the top of the stack, you won't be exposed to any asbestos. Even if you were, the hazards have been WAY overblown by the legal profession. I (and countless others) grew up with asbestos in floor tiles, asbestos in toasters, asbestos in exterior siding, asbestos in shingles, asbestos covering the steam pipes at the local school, asbestos in brake linings, and asbestos in numerous other products. I used to help my father cut asbestos cement sheets with a skillsaw to make the tops of workbenches for electronics repair. I used to regularly drive through a town where asbestos was mined, and the road was covered in asbestos dust.

Asbestos MINERs did have health issues. The average person did not, unless they smoked heavily. Compared to the levels of asbestos we all used to get, an asbestos cement flue is absolutely nothing. However, asbestos cement in a properly installed pipe IS one of the safest flue pipes you could have.
Yep, this idea that a tiny amount of asbestos, especially if it is in a stable situation is this huge hazard is very, very over done. It does not square with the experience of a huge part of the population that has exposure over their lifetime and had no problems.

It probably is not clear what exposure does cause problems. The facts never seem to square with the present claims that a few fibers will kill you. Most peeps have had some exposure. I've had my share, including that which is found on ships and many older ships are loaded with it. Plus it is all around the construction repair type businesses. Been in every house I've ever owned.

In your case I would just cover it with a high temperature tape that is similar to duct tape. It is very sticky and tough, will withstand elevated temps. Excellent solution, I've used it to encapulate insulation on pipe. Really does the job well.

Most of this is common sense, you want to limit your exposure to all sorts of things. A lot of it is probably a full employment act for lawyers and removal "Experts". In place encapulation shoud be the preferred solution if possible.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:51 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:

I agree. I have asbestos flues on both my water heat and furnace and if you don't disturb the flues, you will be OK. Issues about asbestos have been overblown.

And in a 40 year old house, you probably have lead such as in lead-based paint (which has probably since been covered over with non-lead paint) and lead used in solder to connect copper plumbing. This is also not much of a problem unless you're chewing on the molding around doors and windows.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:50 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,698 times
Thank you so much everyone. We will not have the flue replaced and will look into whether we should encapsulate it. Think we just found mold in the kitchen so will post a new thread.

Last edited by christeen; 08-17-2008 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 22,884 times
I have ben told by a Forced Air Furnace installer that I need to replace the Transite flue pipe when I replace my current unit because the newer 80% efficiency replacement model will cause the flue pipe to produce some yellow acid which will flow back into the furnace. I don't understand why installing a higher efficiency unit would cause this condition any more so than my old unit at the same BTU rating.
Would appreciate your input.
Thank you

Old 01-02-2015, 08:20 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
Non metallic flue pipes are prohibited by code and industry standards.
Transite is a great insulator, unfortunately that characteristic can cause condensation which can contain a variety of materials that are detrimental to the life expectancy of the water heater; condensate can flow down the transite into the unprotected interior of the water heater.
Metal pipes are warmer/hotter and that facilitates the keeping of the vent gases in a vaporous state until they leave the building.
Homeowners can remove transite themselves in most states; there may be some pretty basic handling requirements and in most states you can just put in in your trash can.
Google : homeowner disposal of transite and add your state at the end of that phrase for some guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House