Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:07 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times

Advertisements

I live in the Chandler area and purchased a GE Geospring hybrid electric water heater about 5 yrs. ago. All was fine until two weeks ago when the unit quit. Parts have a 10 yr warranty- labor not warrantied.

So, I called the Customer Service number on the machine and had one of their GE technicians take a look at it (about a 5 minute look for $90 plus dollars for the service call. Parts were free.) The tech said they don't repair the units. (I wish tech support had told me this upfront.) The tech ordered about five parts, which arrived by FedEx.
After removing and replacing the parts (elements, thermostat, and other elect parts), the unit still does not work.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased. But by doing the math, I've figure I've saved about $2500 dollars in electric over those five years compared to a conventional, electric water heater (natural gas is not available in my area.)

So, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy another brand new GE Geospring unit again (the price has dropped to $999 now.) The new units are now made in Kentucky; mine was made in China. So I'm hoping the quality of this new unit will be improved over the Chinese made one.

Do you have any similar experience with this type of water heater? I'd like to hear what others have to say.

PS- There's no way I'm buying a conventional, electric water heater; they're energy hogs. And I don't think a solar water heater is without its own unique problems either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,788,140 times
How did you calculate you saved $500/yr?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,788,140 times
Nm, I see the energy guide online says annual cost is $220. My 50 gallon electric water heater says $600/yr, thus approx $400/yr in savings. What you are forgetting though is that your garage in the summer is probably 120 degrees, providing additional heating of the water, reducing the amount of electricity needed to heat the water. But that is nit picking.

Can you tell me how noisy the water heater is? Our tank is in an exterior closet adjacent to the front door, I am worried the sound will be heard through the walls.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Wow, that's pricey!

We have natural gas, thankfully. We run two water heaters, a BBQ, clothes dryer, and cooktop all for just a little over $400 for one year.

Could you run propane? I have a co-worker who lives in Scottsdale who has a propane tank for some appliances.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:38 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post

Could you run propane? I have a co-worker who lives in Scottsdale who has a propane tank for some appliances.
The OP should probably check that with the HOA, since some HOAs do not allow large above-ground propane tanks, thus the tank would have to be buried, which would be a major expense. Since propane is not a common heating or water heating fuel here in the Phoenix area, I wouldn't be surprised if many HOAs here disallow large above-ground tanks.

Also, due to propane water heaters being unusual for the Phoenix area, local availability might be limited.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 01-05-2016 at 08:56 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 05:01 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,935 times
Thanks for the suggestions to switch to propane. I've briefly considered this option because I prefer gas vs. electric for cooking. But, the effort to convert to propane doesn't seem worth it to me.

As far as the GE Geospring water heater noise: mine's in my garage, so the minimal fan noise it makes while running doesn't bother me. What bothers me is GE's poor service, especially my experience where the technician wasn't even allowed to "fix" my broken water heater. I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy another new one from Lowes. Our crappy, hard water doesn't help things either. But I detest salt based water softeners (for many reasons), so I don't plan on putting one in to reduce the scale build up for my new water heater. Hopefully I'll get 10 yrs service out of this new one.

PS- If you operate the hybrid water heater in the heat pump mode exclusively, the electric savings will be even HIGHER that what the energy label states. The yellow energy label assumes the homeowner will be using the unit in the hybrid mode (a mix of conventional electric water heating and heat pump modes.) In my 5 yrs of operating the unit, I've gotten sufficient hot water in the heat pump mode alone.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Don't buy expensive appliances. It's not worth it. They don't last and you have to end up replacing them anyway. Appliances aren't designed to last a long time like they were in the past. I bought two expensive LG front loading washer/dryer 5 years ago and I already have to replace them. I have rental properties with cheaper appliances and those have lasted longer than some of my personal more expensive appliances.

Whether it be a water heater, dishwasher, microwave etc. buy an inexpensive appliance, don't buy the warranty and expect to replace it in 5 years. You don't have to buy the cheapest appliance; get something reasonable but definitely avoid the ones with bells and whistles.

I would not buy that GE hybrid. And in my experience, all of these latest and greatest (solar etc) promise the moon and rarely deliver when it comes to savings. They are just gimics. Even with SOME of these hybrid/electric cars, the additional cost to purchase the vehicles is more than the gas savings you would achieve with them.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:00 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times
Note that since April of last year, the minimum energy factor for 50 gallon electric water heaters is now 0.95, increased from 0.90.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
You basically have an air conditioner on top of it. If it's not leaking I think it could be repaired but that could run, depending on the problem, as much as getting a new one. If you need any advice pm me and I'll be glad to help you. I own a plumbing company.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM

6,762 posts, read 5,063,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Don't buy expensive appliances. It's not worth it. They don't last and you have to end up replacing them anyway. Appliances aren't designed to last a long time like they were in the past.
Yes, this is extremely frustrating to me... very expensive appliances and mechanical systems needing to be repaired and even replaced so frequently. A friend of mine bought a brand new house a few years ago, and within the first two years he had to (1) replace one of the air handlers for his A/C, and (2) have the control board replaced in the GE refrigerator.

I suppose it's mostly the relentless pursuit of cost cutting that's at the root of the problem? I also wonder if more stringent regulations are to blame? Whatever is happening, I'm getting tired of it. I don't need any more bells and whistles, or appliances that send e-mail to the repair shop. I just want something that works! Good luck, I guess.

Last edited by hikernut; 01-06-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House