Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:48 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,971,724 times

Advertisements

Looking for a stainless gas stove and the prices range from $450-$2000+. The more expensive models look fancier, but I don't cook a lot - is it mainly an aesthetic thing opposed to durability? Granted, I still want some of the features that come in handy. Self cleaning seems obvious, but what about convection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:55 AM

17,718 posts, read 29,906,604 times
Does stove = range = cooktop + oven?
Or does stove = oven?
What are you replacing?
Is there gas service to that spot now?
How much electrical service is there at that spot now?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:48 AM

stove = range = cooktop+oven

Gas line in place about 1 ft from where it will be placed with the cabinets installed. No 220V in kitchen.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:09 AM

24,741 posts, read 11,066,957 times
We have all gas, small oven and large convection oven. Temperatures had to get calibrated but that was a warranty service. What do you mean by "what do I need"? For installation or features?

Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,068,912 times
Toaster oven.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Cost for appliances is generally driven by FEATURES.

If you get the lowest priced range it likely lacks all kind of FEATURES -- it won't have convection, it won't have high output burners, it won't have a dedicated broiler, it likely will be less heavily built -- the grates / grids and even oven handles won't be as strong as stepping up to more premium appliances.

If the OP intends to sell anytime soon it would be wise to have similar appliances to the neighboring homes / homes that recently sold for a good price / short time on market. When buyers see bottom of the line appliance they often conclude the home has been "fixed up" by an incompetent "flipper" and that reduces their interest / offer price on the WHOLE house ...

Old 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,951,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Cost for appliances is generally driven by FEATURES.

If the OP intends to sell anytime soon it would be wise to have similar appliances to the neighboring homes / homes that recently sold for a good price / short time on market. When buyers see bottom of the line appliance they often conclude the home has been "fixed up" by an incompetent "flipper" and that reduces their interest / offer price on the WHOLE house ...
That is so true and I would even make sure that I would go "one up" on what the other homes had.

I went above and beyond on what's the typical kitchen appliances in this home I sold last year and my agent said the kitchen was what sold it (in less than a week).
Attached Thumbnails
freestanding gas stoves - what do I need?-20150126_164949_resized.jpg   freestanding gas stoves - what do I need?-20150126_165002_resized.jpg  

Old 01-07-2016, 09:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,527,835 times
Default Mostly true BUT you need to consider the danger of going "too far" as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
That is so true and I would even make sure that I would go "one up" on what the other homes had.

I went above and beyond on what's the typical kitchen appliances in this home I sold last year and my agent said the kitchen was what sold it (in less than a week).
The kitchen renovation that sj08054 has shown looks VERY NICE and probably was worth it because the house sold VERY quickly, BUT the reason that sold quickly was almost certainly a function of the fact that they PRICED THE WHOLE HOUSE at price that MADE SENSE FOR THE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

Just the other day I was looking at some inexpensive homes in a lower income part of the Chicago suburbs (Waukegan) and I saw too many homes that some foolish flippers OVER SPENT and were then asking a price that could NOT be justified by the low quality schools and relatively undesirable reputation of the town -- mind it was not JUST the fancy appliances that made this TOO COSTLY, it was also overly fancy flooring, higher end windows / doors, and even premium grade roofing.

Not sure if the OP is merely looking to understand the appliance options OR if they have a whole list of renovations, but in either case they need to realize that going EITHER too cheap or far too deluxe is NOT a smart move. A step up, from the "basic" range to one that have a few more features is probably smart, but going to the "top of the line" only makes sense if this is a solidly "high end" neighborhood...

Old 01-07-2016, 02:14 PM

17,718 posts, read 29,906,604 times
Go to Gas Ranges - Gas Stoves | AJ Madison and spend time narrowing the choices.
Width
Freestanding vs slide-in
Self cleaning, I would say yes.
Convection is useful, but if you don't cook a lot, then not necessary.
Price

Frigidaire is Electrolux's low-end brand.

Come back and ask us about specific models.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:56 PM

Yes I'm asking about features and no it's not a high end neighborhood. Working class SFH neighborhood built in 50s-60s. My guess is that even the cheapest stoves would "fit" the area.

I guess I'm pretty much wanting to stay under $1k and wondering if there are any features or brands that I should look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House