Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You need to get a plumber over to figure out why you're smelling sewer gas, and then get an HVAC technician in to add a register to your basement ductwork.

Just because your basement is cold and stinky doesn't mean everyone's is.
Well Mr. Expert Who Doesn't Know Squat, we know why occasionally we smell sewer gas when we do laundry in our basement. There's a pump that pumps the water from the washer up to the drain pipes. When it kicks on sometimes, you smell the gases. Not every time. It's been looked at by a plumber and is functioning like it's supposed to. It's not the ideal way to have laundry, but there is no other option currently in this house.

The basement ductwork has absolutely nothing to do with the sewer gases. What on would the ducts in the basement have to do with sewer gases? The gases are in pipes NOT ductwork. The ductwork in our basement goes to the first and second floors of our house. Our basement does not have ductwork to heat it.

Did I say all basements are cold and stinky? Nope! In the Northeast, it's extremely common to have a cold basement especially this week! Basements are below ground. Ground temperature is usually much colder than the temperature above ground nor are basements usually the same temperature as the rest of one's house. Unless a basement is finished, it's not heated thus it's cold.

And many basements are smelly! Many are humid and smell because of that. If our dehumidifiers don't go on early enough in the year, there's a stink we we battle all spring, summer, and fall. Typical of everyone we know in the Northeast who has an unfinished basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 04:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The basement ductwork has absolutely nothing to do with the sewer gases. What on would the ducts in the basement have to do with sewer gases? The gases are in pipes NOT ductwork.
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Ductwork may have nothing to do with sewer gases, but it does, however, have everything to do with heating the basement. Surprised I had to spell that out for you.

Quote:
Unless a basement is finished, it's not heated thus it's cold.
Funny. My basement, in the northeast, is not finished, is heated (thanks to these nifty little holes you can cut into the supply duct and cover with a register! amazing!!), and is not cold.

Nor is it smelly.

Whaddaya know ... I really must know how to take care of my house.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Geez, aren't YOU a snarky one?

Internet much? Here's a hint, people will have differing opinions and say stuff you don't believe. The best way to handle it is.. *drum roll*.. to ignore it.

I've also had a not cold, completely unfinished, basement... in both Wyoming and Colorado. Laundry was in the basement both times, more annoying going up and down the stairs 3 times for each load than anything else. No bad smells either, even in Colorado where the dryer vented inside the house. What ever was I don't WRONG to not have the problems you've had?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Ductwork may have nothing to do with sewer gases, but it does, however, have everything to do with heating the basement. Surprised I had to spell that out for you.

Funny. My basement, in the northeast, is not finished, is heated (thanks to these nifty little holes you can cut into the supply duct and cover with a register! amazing!!), and is not cold.

Nor is it smelly.

Whaddaya know ... I really must know how to take care of my house.
I don't have a heated basement nor do I want one! Why on earth would I want to heat another floor? And the furnace isn't designed for the additional square footage.

Consider yourself lucky that your basement doesn't have a musty odor in the summer. Ours doesn't because we run a dehumidifier. If the dehumidifier doesn't run, the basement will start to get musty in a few days which is very typical in the Northeast.

Who said I don't take care of my house? Taking care of a house does not include putting heat in an unfinished basement. Do you always ooze in snark or is today a special day for you?

Old 02-14-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Geez, aren't YOU a snarky one?

Internet much? Here's a hint, people will have differing opinions and say stuff you don't believe. The best way to handle it is.. *drum roll*.. to ignore it.

I've also had a not cold, completely unfinished, basement... in both Wyoming and Colorado. Laundry was in the basement both times, more annoying going up and down the stairs 3 times for each load than anything else. No bad smells either, even in Colorado where the dryer vented inside the house. What ever was I don't WRONG to not have the problems you've had?
I was giving the snark right back. Don't dish it out if you can't take it!

Your house was probably built differently. Your plumbing was also probably done differently.

When this house was built in 1942, the sewage pipe was almost to the ceiling in the basement. There was originally a septic tank. The cap is right outside where the cast iron sewage pipe is. The town sewer was added decades later.

In the 80's, this house had an addition and a partial remodel. Additional plumbing was added because of a new bathroom. They couldn't move the sewage pipe....it's embedded in a six foot thick wall of cement. Why is the wall six feet thick? There's an enclosed porch attached to that side of the house that was built when the house was built. It's base is solid concrete. Makes for some annoyances occasionally.

When they added laundry facilities, they had to work around that fun cast iron sewage pipe. The solution was to install a pump system to pump the washer waste water up to the PVC drain pipes to run into the cast iron sewage pipe. Sometimes you will smell the gases when the pump kicks on. There's nothing wrong with the system and it works as designed.

In the future, we are going to do another addition and move the laundry to the first floor. We have no plans on ever leaving this home. We're sick of moving. So we are working on some things we feel we will need as we age. The master bedroom is on the second floor. The kitchen is tiny, the dining room is teeny, and the living room is small. We knew these things when we bought the house, but the location and price won over those things. We knew we could add on and remodel. A brand new kitchen, laundry room, great room, and master suite will be added soon along with a 3 car garage. The location is amazing for us now and it will work well when we're seniors. Many of our neighbors are seniors and won't leave until they absolutely have to.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Lots of great info!! Thanks again everyone. My favorite older housing style is a 1960's split level with the classic mid century looks and lines, overhanging eaves and all that. Here lately I have been thinking about some very nice looking 1920's, and 30's tudors and a 40's cape codish style that I have seen listed.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:20 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Lots of great info!! Thanks again everyone. My favorite older housing style is a 1960's split level with the classic mid century looks and lines, overhanging eaves and all that. Here lately I have been thinking about some very nice looking 1920's, and 30's tudors and a 40's cape codish style that I have seen listed.
Good luck with your search! At the risk of being preachy, I would suggest that, if you find an old house you like, you live with it for a while--maybe a year--before making any major changes. When I bought my 1902 house, I didn't like the nasty, 1950s kitchen. But after thoroughly cleaning it up, restoring some original details, and adding some fresh paint, I've grown quite attached to it. Now, I don't have to care that the 60+ year-old floor is made of vinyl asbestos tiles, because it's in great shape, is part of that 50s charm, and won't be ripped out.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:10 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
There is always lead paint everywhere and even asbestos insulation and even the flooring can have asbestos , and the biggest problem is the lack of insulation in window door and attics and walls a ceilings , and floors , then the bath tub is warn out and need replacement , then the antique looking small kitchens , and low ceilings on rebuilt parts of the house , and then cracks in the walls and celling and pet urine stains on hard wood floors , then the foundations are sound with no water for insect damage in wood on windows , then the shingles may be lifting and need replacing, and then the furnace may be very old , and may need replacement , or with fireplaces may have smoke damage in the rooms ..... Spend some time looking around or get an audit by an inspector

Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
There is always lead paint everywhere and even asbestos insulation and even the flooring can have asbestos , and the biggest problem is the lack of insulation in window door and attics and walls a ceilings , and floors , then the bath tub is warn out and need replacement , then the antique looking small kitchens , and low ceilings on rebuilt parts of the house , and then cracks in the walls and celling and pet urine stains on hard wood floors , then the foundations are sound with no water for insect damage in wood on windows , then the shingles may be lifting and need replacing, and then the furnace may be very old , and may need replacement , or with fireplaces may have smoke damage in the rooms ..... Spend some time looking around or get an audit by an inspector
This can be true for any house built before 1978.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:29 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi everyone!! The oldest house we've bought was in the 1950's range. I know the basic things to check into, the mechanicals, electrical and all and will have it inspected. But I'm sure there are specific concerns related to the 20's - 40's like plaster problems, dirt basement floors, etc.

I always was hesitant regarding homes built in the 30's just thinking about a shortage of materials in the depression. Or conversely maybe the 30's era houses were "better" because the men that worked on them were glad to be working and gave it their all.

Thanks

Congratulations on your decision to purchase a home that was built, in what many consider to be "The Golden Age of American Residential Housing".

Some of the most beautifully and meticulously constructed homes were built during that period. There is a sociological reason for that. The 20s and late teens were the first time that private homes were built for the upper middle class and lower upper class. Not only for farmers (utilitarian houses) or the ultra rich.

This is a group of people, now and then, that have enough money to expect and demand quality. The 1920s was an era that brought the Garden City movement. Homes were built in clusters, around a park or park like area. Greenways and berms were popular.

The best, and most modern materials were used. No one on earth could suggest that sheet rock is good substitute for plaster. It just isn't. The worst homes are being built now, or were built in the 70s 80s and 90s. With the exception of *some* custom built houses.

If you are buying a home that has been maintained, and is currently lived in, the current owners have most likely already updated the electric, added more outlets, added central air and heat.

Other than that, I would just have the house inspected as you would any home. There is no special flaw in 1920s -30s homes that needs to be addressed. Most problems occur when the home has not been maintained or has been "updated" in a way that does not show respect the original structure.

You are lucky if you find a house with one of those beautiful 1930s Art Deco bathrooms!

Look for a house that has been meticulously maintained and not ruined by "remuddleing".

Last edited by sheena12; 02-15-2016 at 03:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House