Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 05:45 AM

55 posts, read 113,448 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

The house we are buying has a fireplace and this will be my first experience with a fireplace ever. We had it inspected and are waiting on the final report but it def needs cleaning and possibly a new liner.

Anything we should consider a deal breaker with regards to the fireplace? I know an entire replacement would be crazy expensive and even replacing the liner I hear is at least $2,500. Im just concerned about issues that may be astronomical to fix or dangerous structurally. I know the fireplace has its original chimney but havent heard the rest of the details yet.

What have your experiences been?

Any tips/advice/warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM

65 posts, read 190,492 times
Who inspected the fireplace - the person who did the whole house inspection? I don't think it should be a deal breaker unless it's visually falling apart.

Have a professional chimney sweep look at it and give it a good cleaning and definetly consider getting a fireplace insert and steel liner at some point down the road. An open fireplace just sucks the heat out of your house while burning a fire.

I see you are looking in Westfield? We have been using this guy in Scotch Plains for years Chimney Service & Repair | David the Village Sweep | Scotch Plains, NJ and highly recomend him.

Barry

Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM

55 posts, read 113,448 times
We actually had a separate inspector do the chimney and he's only an inspector and DOES NOT do the fixing work which is good bec he doesnt try and up-sell you any fixing work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryMB View Post
Who inspected the fireplace - the person who did the whole house inspection? I don't think it should be a deal breaker unless it's visually falling apart.

Have a professional chimney sweep look at it and give it a good cleaning and definetly consider getting a fireplace insert and steel liner at some point down the road. An open fireplace just sucks the heat out of your house while burning a fire.

I see you are looking in Westfield? We have been using this guy in Scotch Plains for years Chimney Service & Repair | David the Village Sweep | Scotch Plains, NJ and highly recomend him.

Barry

Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,173 times
Consider an insert with gas logs. The lines will be less of an issue as it's a vent and will also draw in fresh air. Whatever you do that doesn't have a fresh air from the exterior is far less efficient.

If you're just looking for a fire for the effect a few times a year, look into gas logs set in the current fire box. It may not need the expensive relining.

Either way, DO NOT take any chances. A chimney fire is almost impossible to put out once it gets going and will destroy the home in short time. Something not to be experienced.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
You can put a wood/pellet stove and steel liner in for around 4k total. This eliminate your furnace during the winter. Also the cost of heating your house would fall to around $100 a month, with the heat being in the high 70's.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,449 times
Be careful, folks in the chimney sweep/fixing biz love to tell you the chimney will catch fire your family will die while asleep, and your family will die of carbon monoxide while they sleep.

Boom 4k purchase order.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:28 PM

141 posts, read 209,048 times
My home was built in 1915. I moved into it 2 years ago with a T.C.O. in place, which was just finally cleared. One of the items on the T.C.O., was that the fireplace had to relined. Many cities actually now require this as part of Code for new purchasers.

My furnace runs up the chimney. So, between lining the fireplace (which had never been done, as the prior owned lived there for 30 years, before Code), having the chimney inspected, cleaned (sheesh, he hadn't touched in in years), a new cap (I had someone else put one on when I moved in who totally messed it up) and...finding out the firebox was damaged due to said owner not having maintained it for so many years (cracks in the brick) the entire bill was $6000.

Mind you, I didn't even opt to replace the brick as that would have been even more money. We did a lath and plaster repair, painting over the area black. I now use a cast iron back panel to protect the fire box from further damage.

Also, I was advised that the exterior chimney needs re-pointing. It's cobblestone, not brick. Thankfully, the contractor isn't the type to up sell you and make you panic that it's going to fall down tomorrow. He said I have about 2-3 years before it really becomes problematic, in his opinion but at least I know about it now and can start preparing mentally for that expense (I think I'll take care of it sooner than later anyway). Another $4k approximately, it's very labor intensive.

BTW, I used Mark Jameson Chimney in Roselle Park. They were a bit annoying with follow-up as far as the phone is concerned (I think they are too busy with not enough people manning the phones) however, once at the house, were extremely professional, and did fantastic work. They are licensed, bonded, and in the National Chimney Sweep Guild.

I had used the guy from Scotch Plains in my other home, David the Village Sweep, but he doesn't service where I am now (Rahway), and I can highly recommend him as well.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
watch who you hire to put a new liner in if it needs it. there's a company in my county that a bunch of people have reported quoted them needing the same exact work. i got a quote from them also, and sure enough...same exact work.

get the chimney cleaned, and maybe have your city inspector come and check out the liner, or someone you trust.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:23 AM

141 posts, read 209,048 times
You should clarify your statement. As written it makes little sense.

As for my situation, I DID need the liner. My chimney is nearly 100 years old and the town I live in now requires them when a home changes hands due to Code. You can be fined for NOT lining the chimney.

Additionally, I got more than one quote, all from licensed chimney sweeps. All quotes came in within a couple of hundred dollars from each other so it just became a matter of who I felt I trusted more, and who could accommodate my schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey