Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:42 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times

Advertisements

Here are two things I use, one is called Krud Kutter. We use it in our power washer and one day I decided to try and clean the soap scum off my shower door. Worked great, just have to dilute with water, after the iinitial cleaning it is so much easier to keep up. Another thing to try is magic eraser, it maybe time consuming to use on your floor but once the build up is gone it should be easier to clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 04:13 PM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
I bought a house as a rental property and the floor had a nasty yellow cast to it. I hate to dump a lot of money into a rental because the tenant will usually mess it up, so I got down on my knees and scrubbed with a brush and abrasive detergent. Nothing! Then, I sprayed some Greased Lightening on it and wiped the dingy yellow off with a sponge! That stuff is the best!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I bought a house as a rental property and the floor had a nasty yellow cast to it. I hate to dump a lot of money into a rental because the tenant will usually mess it up, so I got down on my knees and scrubbed with a brush and abrasive detergent. Nothing! Then, I sprayed some Greased Lightening on it and wiped the dingy yellow off with a sponge! That stuff is the best!
sounded like wax build up

Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post

I totally forgot about Greased Lightening, love that stuff..

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
If it's no-wax vinyl, my flooring guy told me never to use a harsh cleaning solution of any kind. He suggested that a very small amount of ammonia (cupful?) added to a bucket of warm water and a good mopping should do it I'm thinking you could Google this also. Manufacturers often post cleaning instructions on their websites.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The Best Stuff I've found for cleaning my Vinyl Floors is sold by Armstrong, the maker of many Vinyl Floors.

I use "Once and Done" for everyday cleaning and "New Beginning" for heavy duty cleaning as in cleaning a kitchen floor when I'm getting the place ready to rent.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,274,075 times
oh how i hate linoleum! lol

on our old floor there was a very slight texture to it- not much, but enough so that dirt would get ground into it and not be visible (even with routine cleaning) until MUCH later after it had built up.

My floors were white and grey I think (been awhile). bleach water. wear old icky clothes. wire brsuh. scrub one tiny section at a time. do floor. dry (with towel to get up any dirt in the bleach water. regular mop. dry (towel). wax od some sort.

I used to have to do this about every 4 months (2 kids, 8 cats and a dog all tracking red clay in constantly!)

oh how i hated it.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Thanks for all the replies! Wanted to update. Tried the Clorox and it worked beautifully on the white parts. Showed like build up on the black. Could not get it up. My floor just looked dirty b/c the mop couldn't get anything up. So I bought some ammonia and cheap mops and went to it. My floor looks amazing now! I squeezed the mop on the tough spots and let it sit for a few minutes. All the yucky stuff came right up. It was a pain but it was worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House