Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 01:09 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,521 times

Advertisements

We bought a new construction home last April. It was in the process of being a spec, the only changes we could make was some interior things like hardwoods, bathroom counters, and also the privacy fence. The exterior has two sections of red vinyl shakes above the garage and front bedroom. Thought I could learn to love it and just can't get past it. It's terrible, want something blue-gray. Was told by the builder that I would have to replace them and got 2 quotes that I thought was crazy. So, can you paint them as a more cost-efficient solution?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:47 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
We bought a new construction home last April. It was in the process of being a spec, the only changes we could make was some interior things like hardwoods, bathroom counters, and also the privacy fence. The exterior has two sections of red vinyl shakes above the garage and front bedroom. Thought I could learn to love it and just can't get past it. It's terrible, want something blue-gray. Was told by the builder that I would have to replace them and got 2 quotes that I thought was crazy. So, can you paint them as a more cost-efficient solution?

Can you? Yes. But...

For years people have painted vinyl siding because they wanted a color change. Not a big deal- good cleaning, spray, and done. The "but" is latex paint isn't exactly the best paint for the job and as vinyl seams expand they show the original color. The best way to reduce this from happening is painting it when it's cool out. But you'll probably still need to "touch up" a little red here or there.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,195,268 times
How to Paint Vinyl Siding | DoItYourself.com
read this it gives you alot of info on how to do it.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
My builder guy says: Vinyl is non-porous so how do you get anything to permanently adhere to it? He's using the PVC purple primer as an example. It provides a surface for the glue to adhere to. If there's a primer product....

Old 02-28-2016, 06:55 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
Ask yourself how long you will live there and how often you would have to repaint. It might be wiser to just do it right and replace the vinyl the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House