Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Maybe technically. But the ground isn't ***usually*** on the top. Even when Googling "electrical outlets," you'll find that there is a standard image of an outlet with the ground position on the bottom.

Besides, if it wan't a thing, articles like this wouldn't exist:

Why Your Outlets Are Upside Down - And the Easy Fix

The reasons given were valid. In my days as an electrician, I came across many who gave similar valid reasons to installing the outlets that way.

Code doesn't specify, and it's usually just personal preference.

I prefer them the traditional way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The reasons given were valid. In my days as an electrician, I came across many who gave similar valid reasons to installing the outlets that way.

Code doesn't specify, and it's usually just personal preference.

I prefer them the traditional way.
Notice, you said "traditional way"--I'm presuming you mean ground-down--which indicates there is a "majority opinion" on the issue.

I have heard from the "ground-up" camp that having the ground up when the faceplate is metal would protect against a short circuit if the faceplate fell loose and slipped behind the plug.

But the larger industry appears to validate "ground down" as the norm, inasmuch as we see that all directionally molded plugs direct the cord toward the ground, not away from it.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Notice, you said "traditional way"--I'm presuming you mean ground-down--which indicates there is a "majority opinion" on the issue.

You're venturing into a topic that is hotly debated even on electrical forums.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:27 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You're venturing into a topic that is hotly debated even on electrical forums.
Been there (lurking), have seen those debates.

But I also notice that "ground up" is rare in residences and somewhat more frequent--but not prevalent--in commercial installations.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Clean out! Clean out! Clean out! Put the cords in the boot closet in the dream home.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Clean out! Clean out! Clean out! Put the cords in the boot closet in the dream home.
I'm nowhere near that point and cleaning out is on going.....but it doesn't include DSLR battery chargers or, for that matter, power stripes.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Been there (lurking), have seen those debates.

But I also notice that "ground up" is rare in residences and somewhat more frequent--but not prevalent--in commercial installations.

I would agree. I've seen ground up installs more common in commercial applications.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
My kids were taught "Don't put it down, put it away." If something is put away in the same place each time it is used it will never be lost (and cleaning up will be a lot easier.) Maybe the OP can learn a new trick or make a sign like that for herself.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
My kids were taught "Don't put it down, put it away." If something is put away in the same place each time it is used it will never be lost (and cleaning up will be a lot easier.) Maybe the OP can learn a new trick or make a sign like that for herself.
Keep in mind that for the time being, that's just a slight bit impossible. I'm in a temporary home, just under a year left on the lease, where the goal was not to move in, but unpack minimally while sorting through rapidly packed boxes and dumping what I don't need while more efficiently packing stuff back up.

With the exception of two locations, a bathroom or maybe either of the two A/V equipment locations, any item stands to be shuffled as the inventory of my material life is examined. Ie, one A/V location has an assembled galvanized steel shelf with around 8-12 DVD/VHS units tied into a flat screen, so that's basically "permanent". The other is atop a dresser that the other flat screen sits with a DVD player....and two cassette decks, one receiver, 2-3 turntables, .....awaiting for me to find an amplifier and a laptop controller in the packed stuff, so it all can be brought together.

So between A, limited available shelf space and B, limited drawer (or back pack hooks), it's not quite that easy.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Keep in mind that for the time being, that's just a slight bit impossible. I'm in a temporary home, just under a year left on the lease, where the goal was not to move in, but unpack minimally while sorting through rapidly packed boxes and dumping what I don't need while more efficiently packing stuff back up.

With the exception of two locations, a bathroom or maybe either of the two A/V equipment locations, any item stands to be shuffled as the inventory of my material life is examined. Ie, one A/V location has an assembled galvanized steel shelf with around 8-12 DVD/VHS units tied into a flat screen, so that's basically "permanent". The other is atop a dresser that the other flat screen sits with a DVD player....and two cassette decks, one receiver, 2-3 turntables, .....awaiting for me to find an amplifier and a laptop controller in the packed stuff, so it all can be brought together.

So between A, limited available shelf space and B, limited drawer (or back pack hooks), it's not quite that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House