Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS1 View Post
Ok. I can't really imagine how you would get dirt down the pipe. Shove handfuls in?
Oh my,........you really do not have a clue.

It just take a tiny speck.........just a little rust or, dirt.

Please........do not discontinue your day job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
I've been experiencing the same thing trying to hire an electrician. I'm remodeling the kitchen and need some electrical work done. I called the electrician the cabinet shop recommended. He came out the next morning, nice, friendly guy, looked everything over, took good notes, and said he would work it up and email me that evening with a quote.
He said the job would take about two days, so I would think it was something someone would want to do.
After not hearing from him, I called him a couple of days later and he said he had been busy preparing for his tax appointment but would get back to me as soon as the appointment was over.
Since I have a several weeks before the cabinets arrive I gave him more time, and called him again two weeks after his initial visit. Got an answering machine and left a message. That was three days ago and have heard nothing.
So I took pictures of my kitchen and wrote a detailed description of exactly what needs to be done, and emailed it to four more electricians, and asked them to call or email me if they have questions or wish to discuss the details, or if they would like to do a site inspection..
So far crickets... Not one single response, not even "No, not interested"

Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I took pictures of my kitchen and wrote a detailed description of exactly what needs to be done, and emailed it to four more electricians, and asked them to call or email me if they have questions or wish to discuss the details, or if they would like to do a site inspection..
So far crickets... Not one single response, not even "No, not interested"

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I will say it again:

Expecting non-professionals to act in a professional--and courteous--manner is probably not realistic.
Yes, I realize that this is a sad commentary on the state of those professions, but my experience, your experience, and the experiences of everyone with whom I associate tells me that these folks rarely have the capacity or the instinct to act in a professional and courteous manner.

Last edited by Retriever; 04-13-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I will say it again:

Expecting non-professionals to act in a professional--and courteous--manner is probably not realistic.
Yes, I realize that this is a sad commentary on the state of those professions, but my experience, your experience, and the experiences of everyone with whom I associate tells me that these folks rarely have the capacity or the instinct to act in a professional and courteous manner.

I'm not sure where you got the idea they are non professionals, all were licensed, bonded, insured, and recommended professionals. I can understand if they would respond and say they are too busy or the job is too small, but to just ignore me doesn't make sense..
So I guess by the fact they wouldn't make the effort to respond, they surely didn't act in a professional manner..

Old 04-14-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
I'm not sure where you got the idea they are non professionals, all were licensed, bonded, insured, and recommended professionals. I can understand if they would respond and say they are too busy or the job is too small, but to just ignore me doesn't make sense..
So I guess by the fact they wouldn't make the effort to respond, they surely didn't act in a professional manner..
I hate it when I hear contractors not returning calls...........IMO......it is part of the job.

Last night I returned four calls.........it did not take long at all........I got an answering machine on all four calls.

BTW, the messages on the machines where all "generic".........I am never 100% sure they get the message with "generic" messages.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I hate it when I hear contractors not returning calls...........IMO......it is part of the job.

Last night I returned four calls.........it did not take long at all........I got an answering machine on all four calls.

BTW, the messages on the machines where all "generic".........I am never 100% sure they get the message with "generic" messages.
Most people these days are impatient unless they are over 40 they will return your call. Most younger people just google up contractors and go right down the list and whoever answers first gets the job. I've had quite a bit of people say they called someone else because i didn't answer right away. God forbid umm i'm too busy working to answer your call. Pretty hard to crawl through an attic running wire and stopping to answer the phone. The patience level of an instant gratification society is non existent. I even get people who text me for work! If you can't call me then you are just wasting my time. Again it's mostly younger people who do that.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Most people these days are impatient unless they are over 40 they will return your call. Most younger people just google up contractors and go right down the list and whoever answers first gets the job. I've had quite a bit of people say they called someone else because i didn't answer right away. God forbid umm i'm too busy working to answer your call. Pretty hard to crawl through an attic running wire and stopping to answer the phone. The patience level of an instant gratification society is non existent. I even get people who text me for work! If you can't call me then you are just wasting my time. Again it's mostly younger people who do that.
Just last night my DH and myself were talking about things as you see it.

IF we were starting over today our business would start with an "A". (I liked "All Wells)

But, we are getting old..........so starting with an "E" gives us a fair share.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
E-mailed my contractor/handyman to see when he'd be by to finish up the little fix-it jobs he started for me months ago; he's starting a new construction project and laying flooring and will get with me later. Like I said, they won't piddle around with your little handyman chores when there are bucks to make...

Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
I like the way my last handyman (not a contractor, but an engineer/CEO that built 5-6 of his own homes) worked - I'd pay him per day so no matter how small the job, he'd make the same amount of money. It also helped that he was retired and filthy rich so working on homes was just a hobby done mostly for enjoyment. Finding someone like that is almost impossible though.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I like the way my last handyman (not a contractor, but an engineer/CEO that built 5-6 of his own homes) worked - I'd pay him per day so no matter how small the job, he'd make the same amount of money. It also helped that he was retired and filthy rich so working on homes was just a hobby done mostly for enjoyment. Finding someone like that is almost impossible though.
I can do a lot of difficult jobs in day I would never limit my income severely by working for a "day rate". I can upgrade an electrical service in one day and charge over $1,500 for a basic back to back upgrade in se cable. Materials can be as low as $600 for an upgrade depending on different things. So $900 income for the day but i have expenses obviously. But anyway would you pay my $1,500 day rate? I don't think so. Most of these people who talk about "day rates" are talking about the $3-$500 range. And people want specialty involved work for those prices. Nobody benefits in that situation except the home owner laughing all the way to the bank getting the contractor his measly $300...no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House