Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:48 PM

525 posts, read 660,079 times

Advertisements

For my work in progress house.

I want a fireplace. I like the ambience of a fireplace. I can stare at it when there's nothing else to do (or when I'm ignoring things that need to be done). Sooooo..

My house, a mid-century ranch (NOT modern, but has charm and squeeeeee casement windows, original) has it's gas lines just capped off in every room wherever a gas heater used to be.

Can't I just (hee-hee, "just") have the one in my "formal living/entry room" opened into a gas fireplace?

I'd need... what? A vent through the roof, right? A surround for the actual "fireplace" part. A hearth? I have one of the capped off gas lines in the area where it would go, everything else would be fitted to that spot, or built out or cut. And then the part that is the fireplace, the 'flames'. I'm thinking for my area (Mid/South Texas) maybe $2000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:41 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Just go with a "direct vent, gas only f/pl.

There's no need for excessive chimney, hearth, etc. The gasline is no big deal it can be re-plumbed to suit the fireplace.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,749 times
That sounds great! But such work is individual and the installation can be performed only when the examination of the technical documentation of your ranch, and visual inspection. you need to make mine pipe first. mine must be fire-resistant.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
$4000
You will need to hire a company with expertise.
Take your time. Planning is cheap.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:42 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,615,749 times
With regard to the requirements flue gas exhaust flue is used the same way as for gas boilers. provide a vertical chimney, running along one wall and leaving via the floors and the roof. When the device chimney must take into account two factors: it must be insulated with non-combustible material and is made of corrosion-resistant material that is resistant to condensation, because when gas combustion produces a large amount of steam. Typically, removal of smoke from the gas fireplace uses two-layer sandwich insulated chimney made of stainless steel.
Consider further the requirements for installing fireplaces are no drafts and flammable decoration or furniture - the wall of the furnace at the hot.

Gas fireplace firebox sure to coat with non-combustible materials: stone, tile, clinker. Without facing the furnace can not be used! When the liner is necessary to provide vent holes through which warm air from the furnace wall will flow into the room. Models with automatic controls and protections must be connected to the mains to connect the controller.
Do not skimp on your safety !!

Old 01-06-2017, 12:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
https://www.houselogic.com/organize-...you-need-know/

Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
We have this Cosmo 42 Gas Fireplace | Heat & Glo

We like everything about it except for one aspect. It puts out too much heat. It heats up the immediate and nearby area and confuses the thermostat.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:50 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,087 times
OH, gee... why not just buy one of those electric heaters in a mantel that they sell at Lowe's? They have a pretend flame thing that looks pretty neat, and you don't have all the expense and torture of a gas fireplace.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have this Cosmo 42 Gas Fireplace | Heat & Glo

We like everything about it except for one aspect. It puts out too much heat. It heats up the immediate and nearby area and confuses the thermostat.
We had that problem with a wood burning fireplace. I just put a washcloth over the thermostat so the heat wouldn't shut the darn thing off.

The upstairs would get mighty cold when the fireplace was in use downstairs.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:40 PM

525 posts, read 660,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
OH, gee... why not just buy one of those electric heaters in a mantel that they sell at Lowe's? They have a pretend flame thing that looks pretty neat, and you don't have all the expense and torture of a gas fireplace.
Because if it's not real, why would I spend $$ on it anyway? It's not about the heat necessarily. I can get a DVD that plays a fire on my TV (and actually I think I have one that came with the recent set up). I'm asking about whether this gas fireplace at a previous gas connection is feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House