Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times

Advertisements

I have looked up several old houses. I mostly have been interested in the trees I planted. For the most part they have thrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
The house I lived in 30 years ago has been demolished. The house I lived in prior, is also gone. I have checked periodically on my childhood home. The neighborhood it is in has drastically declined. I do wonder about how the house, which my dad built, looks on the inside, and hope to find it for sale with pics, to get a peek.

I do not intend to physically revisit though.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:46 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The house I lived in 30 years ago has been demolished. The house I lived in prior, is also gone. I have checked periodically on my childhood home. The neighborhood it is in has drastically declined. I do wonder about how the house, which my dad built, looks on the inside, and hope to find it for sale with pics, to get a peek.

I do not intend to physically revisit though.

Just as well not to visit. I saw my neighborhood after they had taken everything down, and it was awful. Looked like Hiroshima.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times
My childhood home in a nice Detroit suburb is still there . Visited it a few years ago and was allowed by the lovely owners to go inside. They had added a family room and additional bathroom (so needed!) to the kitchen. My mother's wallpaper was still visible inside a closet upstairs. Unfortunately the beautiful Arts and Crafts tiles surrounding the fireplace had been removed and replaced with ordinary generic tile. And the house has been "vinylized". But my father had "tin-manned" the place previously in the 60's so I can't complain! Just hope someday someone restores it back to wood clapboards and wood shakes that I remember as a child.

People weren't so much in to restoring old houses when I was a kid. My huge old "hide and seek" oak tree still lives in the front yard .

Old 05-22-2016, 04:20 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Thumbs up *

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip
Grew up in a house in the 60s. Parents sold it in 70s, and it's changed hands a couple times since then. Sister calls me a couple years ago, says she noticed it was for sale, did I want to go look at it. We waited for an open house (didn't want to waste a realtor's time for a lookie), and walked thru.

My bedroom had a built-in desk with drawers. I had taken one drawer, and made it into a "pot" drawer (hey, this was the sixties, ok ). I lined it with mirrors, built in an ashtray, etc. It was still there! The entire setup was still in place!! Couldn't imagine what each successive buyer must have thought. But they all left it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu
I found the house my grandfather build in Buffalo, NY about 1916 on a realtors site. The exterior is new siding, which was not as nice as the previous exterior. But what amazed me was that no one in all these years had trashed the inside by tearing out all the decorative details of that era. The inside is beautiful still!
Very nice and surprising to hear guys!!!
(Most ppl today DO NOT KNOW WHAT GOOD IS!)

Old 05-22-2016, 04:30 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
BOS2, that's a nice story. You have a lot of memories. It's interesting how our memories are segmented by where we lived at the time, but I guess it only makes sense. It's also interesting the way our grandparents stayed put virtually forever, whereas our parents moved around and we moved even more.
Thank you!

Yes, generally speaking, we, as a nation, have become more transient.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Yes i have gone back to my childhood house. My Best Friends sister (also my friend) lives there. I didnt leave anything behind though, well some writing but its been painted over.

I live in my great grandparents house, which there are still some things of my great grandparents here. <3

Old 05-22-2016, 05:11 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
...and found something you left there??

I was just thinking about this house we lived in DURING THE 80s and the crawl space under the stairs.. I used to go in and had a fort kinda like in there.... I wonder if I left maybe a cassette tape in there! (In the ceiling there are spaces where stuff can go in there)

I havent ever seen that house FOR SALE!!!!!!! -- Although its been thru a couple different owners it must not have been on the market long!!

I WOULD LOVE TO GET IN THERE and check the heating duct where my room was and the crawl space downstairs!!

Its sad,the house doesnt look as good AT ALL as when we lived there..... Plastic Windows,PLASTIC SIDING!! (That new crap everyone gets now) -- Totally ugly...............
I once went by the old family house, the wrecking crew had already reduced it to rubble. I got out of my vehicle with a smile seeing the buyer who'd haggled about the 250K price tag...

He came over smiling and said "Well, I got it now and you don't"

I replied "Yep and had you been nicer, I'd have told you the exterior was made out of Philippine mahogany, the exterior was worth 30K by the way"..

He just stood there...aghast....I laughed, got in my vehicle and left.....I got what I really wanted....

Old 05-22-2016, 05:38 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The house I grew up in is better than ever. I've been back a few times. My parents bought it as a fixer upper so we could live in a beautiful town with great schools. My dad was always painting and repairing, he added shutters, and that house looked pretty good.

But I've gone back and people with more money have added shrubbery and I heard that the interior has been improved.

HOWEVER, the last house I owned was another case. It was a beautiful Cape with real cedar shakes for siding. The people who bought it were idiots. The husband said we were so stupid that we never even stained the cedar shakes! The first thing he would do would be to stain them.

So now, instead of beautifully weathered and nice smelling natural cedar shakes, you have this shiny dark brown color that has to be done over and over. Should have left it natural. Idiots sold the house a year later too!

Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 PM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
Yes. It's a beautiful 1930s shotgun rock house and is now an Aveda salon. My sister and I went to visit it. It's SO MUCH SMALLER than I remember it! But they did a wonderful job upgrading it to their current needs while keeping the integrity of the original structure.

https://www.facebook.com/MeSalonSA/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House