Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

Our brand new cement driveway is developing holes in the first week! We have not even driven on it yet! The holes begin as little brown marks, then within days they become small holes with an oily substance coming our from them especially when the cement gets wet. First there was one, now there are too many to count. They are on the sidewalks and every area of the cement. They begin the size of a small dot and continue to grow to the size of a pencil. We can only imagine what they will look like after a winter! Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
photos please...

Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,000,485 times
How about you contact the people who poured your driveway instead of some random internet forum. Sheesh.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,872 times
Trying to learn of my options before meeting with him, Mr. Heading to Denver! Of course I am going to discuss concerns with him, but would be nice to know what others have done in similar situations. Sheesh!!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:15 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
And no one will know if their situation is similar, unless you post photos. Your location will matter also.

I am 100% sure though, that headin toDenver is right.

No matter what anyone else's experience is/was, you are going to have to speak to the people who poured it. (No Sheesh!! necessary).

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,397,838 times
I've worked around a lot construction and I have seen a lot of concrete poured but I do not recall anything like you are describing (well yeah, one or 2 bubbles but not as many as you are describing). Sounds like the concrete itself must have been defective. By all means get your contractor out there to look at it. It may need to be removed and redone.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
"small holes with an oily substance coming our(sic) from them"

It does sound as if oil or some petroleum product got into the mix and it isn't just air pockets. What is puzzling is that it wasn't noticed while screeding.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,234,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam3 View Post
Our brand new cement driveway is developing holes in the first week! We have not even driven on it yet! The holes begin as little brown marks, then within days they become small holes with an oily substance coming our from them especially when the cement gets wet. First there was one, now there are too many to count. They are on the sidewalks and every area of the cement. They begin the size of a small dot and continue to grow to the size of a pencil. We can only imagine what they will look like after a winter! Please help!
call your cement contractor, sounds like a free redo to me. And that would be free labor too. Let the contractor get his reimbursement from the cement co.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,830,139 times
Sounds to me anything less than total removal and redo would not be acceptable and definitely not just a skim coat over the existing concrete. I hope that cement contractor comes back to talk with you.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam3 View Post
photo goes a long way to helping people advise you.

I used to do a little concrete work, and contracted out a lot more, never saw or heard of Oil like bubbles, it sounds like something fishy was going on. Maybe someone threw in clumped material at the very end and hoped for best. Or maybe retardant or finish was sprinkled on by someone lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House