Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 AM

7 posts, read 8,303 times

Advertisements

I need help. I live in TEXAS, 76084. Straight winds and hail damaged my roof. I put up turbine vents to replace the turtle vents (I am told they are called dormer venting) and now have the issue of my hoa asking me to take them down because they are ugly, will be noisy, etc... I was told by my roofer that the turtles allowed little air flow, was allowing the birds in, (yes the mess in the attic from the birds was horrible) and costing me to run the air conditioner longer. He said the turbines allow for more air to be taken out of the attic and will be better for the house and help a little on the pocket book. He said gable venting with soffits would be best but cost more, so I put in the turbines. Where can I get info to support what my roofer has told me, and does anyone in Texas have an opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 09:48 AM

244 posts, read 514,498 times
If your HOA is causing issues with the spinning Turbine's you can replace them with powered vent turbine's they look like flat disks that sit on top of the hole where there Turbine would look just like a turtle vent. They can be powered either by solar or by running electricity to them.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:45 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Insulation in the attic is a far better way to reduce AC use.

My sympathy goes to you for being under the thumb of an HOA. I'd tell them that when they get noisier than the board to come back.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:08 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
I believe your roofer sold you "up-the-river".

This subject matter has been talked about many times previously on C-D. Here's my take- turbines are in essence a "mechanical" device. The definition of mechanical means it will break/fail at some point.

Having a passive ventilation system is more than vents here, and vents there. Having the correct numbers (sq/ins per sq/ft of vents versus total attic area are key) can and will directly effect the overall energy costs associated with your home.

The only problem I've every truly seen from "turtle backs" is the material from which they're made. Plastic ones are easily defeated by wild life- those that are made from metal are pretty much impenetrable.

As for power vents- good in the sense that they provide positive air flow- bad in the sense that they can create a low pressure condition in the attic which can draw "conditioned air" from the living space to the attic (energy waste), and of course they are mechanical- they will fail.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I'm in Texas about 300 miles south of you. In my opinion, turtle vents and turbines are total waste of time and money. All they do is provide a very small avenue for heat to rise out of the attic. Most often they create pockets of hot air by not venting the entire roof. You'll be much farther ahead if you go with ridge vents. Properly installed, they provide venting heat from all of the attic, they are not noticeable, and should be acceptable by your HOA.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I'm just a homeowner and so have no expertise but I agree totally with TrapperL. I had someone (an auditor, not a salesman) do an home energy checkup on my house and, as a result, I switched from turbines to ridge vents with great results.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:01 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I've seen power vents start fires. That makes them a non-starter for me.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Ridge vents are the way to go...very low profile, blend into the roof...no issues with birds or animals...nothing mechanical.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've seen power vents start fires. That makes them a non-starter for me.
Had such a fire at an office I used to own. A passerby called the fire department and fortunately the damage was minimal. Fire was after hours and no one was in the building.

Our home has ridge vents.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Ridge vents are only as good as the installation.
I've seen plenty of ridge vents installed over nothing more than a "crack" at the ridge beam. So again, having the right amount (sq/ins) of venting is key- just because you have a "ridge vent" doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House