Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 PM

171 posts, read 194,054 times

Advertisements

We just bought a home. It's a duplex attached to one other home. I had and exterminator spray the first week we moved in for prevenative measures. I was told you really only need it twice a year....so for the first 6 weeks I saw only 1 spider....nothing else...but now only 2 months after spraying I an finding ants everyday. Very tiny ones all over the pantry so I cleaned it, made sure everything was sealed, and put in a few ant traps....but I'm finding about 5 large ants a day. A few in the bathroom but mostly in the living room....I killed about 7 large ones since I got home from work a few hours ago. I put a couple ant traps under the couch (can't leave them where the dogs will get them)....What is causing this? We are clean....and had the place sprayed 2 months ago. Having them come again at the end of the week....I don't think it's coming from the house attached to ours because what I'm told is there a a fire wall in all homes....I just am paranoid and now wonder if the ant problem is why many people lived here before us and didn't stay long? (I was told this by a neighbor after we moved in....the realtor acted as if the same man lived her for a long time but he probably rented it out). I don't know. It's really bothersome since this is a nice home....nicely kept for the most part and in a good neighborhood. It's a ranch house and I know on the first floor it's more common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 07:31 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,466,792 times
This comes up a lot. Get Terro ant baits. Put them in a place where no pets or kids will disturb them, somewhere near where the ants travel. They come in boxes of six, use the whole box. When the ants discover them, for a short time an army of ants will appear. Then they will taper off. Then there will be none left alive.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM

171 posts, read 194,054 times
Thanks. I bought the raid ant baits and put one under each couch. I spray clorox bleach in the bathroom in the morning after we shower. In the drain mostly. Hopefully having an exterminator again will get us through the summer....not sure why the first spray didn't seem to work long enough. I always worry this will lead to worse bugs like roaches but not sure that is the case. I wonder though if maybe it can be from the neighbors who share the duplex. I haven't been in their house but from the outside it's not very well kept and the lawn is horrible.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,721 times
Quote:
Get Terro ant baits. Put them in a place where no pets or kids will distu
That!! Terro any traps are the best. Don't waste your time using cinnamon, cheap traps etc. get terro and you won't see any more ants

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Ant baits worked great for me

https://www.amazon.com/Ant-Killer-Ba...words=ant+bait

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,342,730 times
Get the Terro liquid. It comes in a little bottle, and you put a few drops on small pieces of cardboard. The ants will swarm on the cardboard, and after a few days, they'll all be gone.

Don't waste your money on anything else, just buy Terro. You can buy it at Walmart, Target HD, Lowes, and maybe the grocery stores.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,466,792 times
Here's the logic behind Terro:

Ants love sugar.
Borax is fatal to ants.
Terro is basically simple syrup mixed with Borax.
The ants swarm on the ant crack that is Terro, and take it home to feed the colony.
Every ant that eats the ant crack dies, and the other ants take the corpses home to feed to the rest.
Eventually, the queen or queens get fed the ant crack and die.
At that point, the colony collapses and dies out.

The beauty of it is that they even clean up their dead, and with the colony wiped out, they don't come back until a new colony is founded. Which might take a while given that the dead ants with ant crack poisoning are still laying around that area, likely to be cannibalized by any scouts. This is so much better than just putting poison, because with Terro, they live long enough to take the toxic stuff back to the queens.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,820,291 times
Terro for the win.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:41 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
We just bought a home. It's a duplex attached to one other home. I had and exterminator spray the first week we moved in for prevenative measures. I was told you really only need it twice a year....so for the first 6 weeks I saw only 1 spider....nothing else...but now only 2 months after spraying I an finding ants everyday. Very tiny ones all over the pantry so I cleaned it, made sure everything was sealed, and put in a few ant traps....but I'm finding about 5 large ants a day. A few in the bathroom but mostly in the living room....I killed about 7 large ones since I got home from work a few hours ago. I put a couple ant traps under the couch (can't leave them where the dogs will get them)....What is causing this? We are clean....and had the place sprayed 2 months ago. Having them come again at the end of the week....I don't think it's coming from the house attached to ours because what I'm told is there a a fire wall in all homes....I just am paranoid and now wonder if the ant problem is why many people lived here before us and didn't stay long? (I was told this by a neighbor after we moved in....the realtor acted as if the same man lived her for a long time but he probably rented it out). I don't know. It's really bothersome since this is a nice home....nicely kept for the most part and in a good neighborhood. It's a ranch house and I know on the first floor it's more common.
get the pink panther....

Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,021,742 times
Sprinkling ASPARTAME around also gets rid of ants. We had some that wouldn't drink the Terro syrup, but after I sprinkled some Aspartame around, they left and haven't come back as of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House