Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

I know Command makes stick -on products which hold quite a bit of weight for pictures, mirrors, etc. without nails. Is there something like that for outside?

We will be moving to a ranch condo with a courtyard and we aren't supposed to drive any nails on outside surface. I want to attach netting to use as support for vines. Kind of like a trellis. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
While it will not penetrate, it would be hard to clean off, but when I had a sign business, I would use some pieces of 3M VHB double sided foam tape along with some silicone adhesive to mount signs or letters to stucco walls. The tape holds while the silicone sets up, but is not strong enough by itself to adhere to stucco over time. When you take it down, you have to scrape off as much of the silicone as you can, and if you use clear, a slight gloss will be left but not very noticeabl

Old 08-02-2016, 08:53 PM

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Why not support the trellis from below? Sink a couple of posts and string the netting to that.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,968,809 times
Personally. I don't want any plant, branches, etc..touching my exterior walls. Anything that makes water run differently is problematic. They told you not to nail, I don't think glueing would make their day, and it may be in violation of hoa rules. Maybe some day you will own your own house and can do with it what you want...hoa willing. I've seen a single tree branch do hundreds of Dollars damage to a roof...every time the wind blew, it rubbed back and forth across the edge of the roof, eventually damaging the integrity of the roof.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
If there is any possibility at all, I would install two or more thin metal rods vertically from the ground and next to the wall. Then drape the netting between these. If your glue/tape is strong enough to stick to the wall, the weight of the netting plus vines will pull off the 'stucco'. Or water will loosen it or get trapped at the wall.

If you want to be subtle and creative, go to your local farm supplier and buy something called a hog panel. This is a thick wire welded in a grid pattern. Cut it to size with cable cutters and use that as a trellis. It is normally galvanized, but you could use rustoleum or similar to paint it any color or metallic you wish. Use the rods to force/hold it upright against the wall.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Personally. I don't want any plant, branches, etc..touching my exterior walls. Anything that makes water run differently is problematic. They told you not to nail, I don't think glueing would make their day, and it may be in violation of hoa rules. Maybe some day you will own your own house and can do with it what you want...hoa willing. I've seen a single tree branch do hundreds of Dollars damage to a roof...every time the wind blew, it rubbed back and forth across the edge of the roof, eventually damaging the integrity of the roof.
I'm thinking of a very large container on the patio with vine going up trellis--so something more than a little trellis in the pot would be needed. It would not be exposed to rain water at all. Also we have owned several homes during our 40 year marriage. We are moving into a 55+ condo community and it will be our first experience with condo living but certainly not our first HOA experience.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
You are going to have to build a self supporting frame that will stand by itself and does not touch the wall. You might be able to anchor the top to the eaves, you usually have wood there.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:49 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Why not do two and make an A frame so they touch each other and no walls at all?

Old 08-03-2016, 11:56 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I'm thinking of a very large container on the patio with vine going up trellis--so something more than a little trellis in the pot would be needed. It would not be exposed to rain water at all. Also we have owned several homes during our 40 year marriage. We are moving into a 55+ condo community and it will be our first experience with condo living but certainly not our first HOA experience.

If you're doing a large pot, then just use a fan trellis-

http://m.target.com/p/panacea-84-fan...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House