Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 01:28 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times

Advertisements

There's an old saying that a house isn't truly a home until a wedding, a birth, and a death (or funeral) have taken place within its walls.

Nowadays, all three events tend to occur elsewere - but my grandparents' house came close to meeting this criteria. My parents were married there, and my grandfather died at home (twelve years later). And one of my older cousins went into labor in that house, on my parents' wedding day (after the newlyweds had left on their honeymoon), but she made it to the hospital for the birth of her first child. It was a very eventful day for my extended family. That house is still standing, but it is no longer owned by family members and has been badly remuddled, losing much of its charm in the process. Wish someone would change it back...

My other grandparents' house also came close, as both births and deaths occurred within it - but weddings were reserved for the nearby 1840s church which some of my family still attend. Wedding receptions were held at home, however. Sadly, that large Victorian white frame house, built by my great grandparents, was demolished in the mid 70s and was nearly 100 years old at the time. My great aunt used to say the house was built for her to be born in...

I wish I could build a replica of that house for myself, with a few updates (bathrooms, kitchen, furnace, AC, insulation, wiring, plumbing. Floorplan would remain mostly intact, along with all architectural features). I'd know exactly where every piece of my heirloom furniture should go...back where it used to be.

Times were different then, and people were less isolated from the realities of life - and death - in many ways. Weddings, births, deaths, all were part of life, and family homes often were lived in by and for multiple generations. Such events became part of family history, as is still the case, and memories remained clearer and perhaps dearer when the place where they occurred remained part of everyday life.

It would not bother me at all to know that a death occurred in a house, although if I were purchasing such a house, I'd probably want to change the appearance of the room where someone had recently died - new paint or paper, new drapes, carpets, etc. My own possessions would be new to the house, of course, and would help make it my own.

Last edited by CraigCreek; 08-07-2016 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I wouldn't care at all if someone had died in the house, unless there was something toxic about the house that killed them. Radon? Something poisonous about the water?

But in your situation, where someone had died peacefully in their sleep in the house, that wouldn't bother me at all, and I think your wife ought to keep quiet about it.
I agree.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:29 PM

887 posts, read 1,215,784 times
Clients home in Glenview, Il. Was originally the funeral home/owners home. The casket workbench still in the basement.
[IMG]The casket maker by Glenn Hanson, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2016, 03:33 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
That is certainly a deal breaker for me. There are plenty of homes for sale where people didn't die in them.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM

57 posts, read 68,308 times
It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, unless it was some sort of tragic death that occurred in the home.

Who knows for sure how many houses any of us have been in, or lived in, where someone may have passed away? And to the OP, sorry for your loss and the added burden of the foreclosure issues, etc.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:40 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In our state a realtor does not need to reveal a death unless they are asked directly about one.
If a peaceful death I would not be bothered about living there, but a violent one would give me pause and I doubt I would want to live there.
That must be the case in Colorado also. I've wondered how it happened that the family of one of my grandchildren's friends moved into a house where a shocking murder happened in a very nice neighborhood and they didn't know about it. The neighbor kids told the children of the family after they'd moved in. They were pretty upset to find out. I remember the crime as it made a lot of headlines a few years ago, and apparently the realtor didn't share that info. Nor apparently did they ask.

It's too bad as it's a lovely house but the new owners are somewhat perturbed over its history. I guess I would be too.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,078 times
We bought a house where the previous owner shot herself in the bathtub. She had two labs- black. She was a trust fund kid who never worked and had some issues. No one touched it, but it did not bother us for the area and we knew the family appreciated a family with kids taking care of it..she had done some remodeling.

There were some oddities...toilet would flush (not often, but it did), or I'd see what seemed like a black lab out of the corner of my eye at times while sitting and watching TV. We'd say, "Hi," to the owner. Never anything scary.

We bought it for 745 and sold for 1.3 million 11 years later (we did remodel). It was a great house and the new owner loves it and has 2 kids.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenwhatareyou View Post
I'm not a realtor so i don't know but it was not listed on the disclosure and my realtor said she did not have to disclose it and the buyers didn't ask. It may be different from state to state.
I have actually NO issue, but would want to know HOW..was it natural or violent/criminal etc.. It's the Souls of Violent deaths that seem to create spirits who just cannot move on.

Most people can sense negativity in most spaces in anytime ( tho may not know why)..but when looking to purchase any space (home) IF for whatever reason..one feels uncomfortable ..I'd say PASS..regardless of the reason.. Why buy into any space that makes you feel uncomfortable. But I do agree acknowledging any death on any property being considered requires sharing!!

Having said all that tho..Many properties (land mass) has had many legacy historical happenings..wether it's war..previous century old ownership occurrences that are NOT known to seller of property. For those that get creeped out..Just maybe search out history on that particular area..Was that property original Land belonging to an Indian Reserve?? or an for some sort of violent historical area ??

It's up to an individual..but unless you sense or feel those hairs on nap of neck tingle ..Go with you gut! Always request a second viewing BEFORE you offer a purchase..because often IF the PRICE is TOO good..Just maybe there is a reason..So best to be sure!!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:28 PM

417 posts, read 734,605 times
No, no big deal and no reason to mention it. Actually, I wouldn't even want to know unless it was a murder or something.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
No. Personally, I'd not be okay with it and I'd worry about resale value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House