Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times

Advertisements

I have 9 windows, filled with inert gas. They are 22 years old, and 4 of them are in bad shape: rotten wood, air leaks, cannot close them properly. I know they are expensive! Does it make sense to replace 4 of them now, and wait, until all the rest go bad?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 04:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Replace/fix what's broken. I wouldn't spend anymore than you have to. You might be able to get the other Windows checked out and serviced

Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The OP pretty clear has gotten a TERRIBLE installation! I have seen windows that are literally 50 years old that are still LIKE NEW. Wood rots not because of "manufacturing defects" but because some bozo installed the windows in such a way that rain / snow is not properly directed away from them!

While I agree that it is not smart to replace anything that is not broken the OP should take some time to learn how to interview the firms installing the replacement windows to be sure that they know the proper way to install the windows so they will LAST A LONG TIME!

How to Hire a Trustworthy Window Installer: Checklist and Important Questions to Ask

Installing and Flashing Windows Correctly

Old 08-23-2016, 12:27 PM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I have 9 windows, filled with inert gas. They are 22 years old, and 4 of them are in bad shape: rotten wood, air leaks, cannot close them properly. I know they are expensive! Does it make sense to replace 4 of them now, and wait, until all the rest go bad?
Thank you.
I'd only replace the 4, worry about the other 5 if they ever get bad.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:23 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP pretty clear has gotten a TERRIBLE installation! I have seen windows that are literally 50 years old that are still LIKE NEW. Wood rots not because of "manufacturing defects" but because some bozo installed the windows in such a way that rain / snow is not properly directed away from them!
Yes! I see water leaking around the window second floor, and showing up on the ceiling first floor. How come?
Another problem with that window is condensation between two glass surfaces.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Yes! I see water leaking around the window second floor, and showing up on the ceiling first floor. How come?
This is really bad. If it had been going on for years, you may have rotten structural lumber that now needs to be replaced. You also probably have a lot of mold growing in there and you may have ruined insulation as well. You should get someone to look at this. They will have to poke holes in the ceiling and walls. It will not be cheap.

As to the "How come?" There are many things that can cause this. The most common is improperly lapped flashing. this will actually direct water into your walls instead of away from them.

I think you said they were installed 9 years ago. In most states your longest statute of repose is 10 years. You had better find out quickly if the installer did major damage to your home because you may be almost out of time to try to recover the costs of repair. Also if there is major damage there is a small chance your insurance company may cover part of it.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

436 posts, read 521,402 times
Replace them all if they were all originally installed by the same person. They will probably all fail eventually and if you already have people in the house installing windows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House