Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:23 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,394,039 times

Advertisements

They are trimming them back so you dont lose power. relax, and let them do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 PM

17,351 posts, read 11,312,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchville View Post
They are charging, they get paid by taxes to do this.

And I am talking about excessive cutting.
Not all power companies are owned by cities. Some, quite large are corporations and not funded by tax payers.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Only the town is permitted to cut them in the first place.
I call BS. Name this town where the property owner is not allowed to trim the trees on his own property.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:15 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,252,498 times
Quote:
What to do when the power company or town starts cutting down or trimming your tress in the name of safety, but gets chainsaw happy and starts cutting down branches that pose no danger just to be "extra extra safe".

Really bugs me when they do this to my trees.
If the limbs are in the city right of way, there ain't a thing you can do.

SS

Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times
They cut trees to the ground in my area, trees that were under abandonned power lines. Why? Because the power company hires tree cutters, and tree cutters cut trees. Tree cutters don't know how to tell wires are not in service. And after the fact, what can the property owner do.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:19 PM

323 posts, read 377,667 times
It's expensive to come and trim trees regularly. If you don't maintain your own trees, they cut for several years worth of growth so they don't need to come back yearly.

If the trees are in a power company easement, there's nothing you can do.

If the trees are in a city or county right of way, they have a utility/joint pole agreement with the City to operate, and there is nothing you can do.

There is an obligation and significant liability to the power company to keep the lines clear and safe. Something looking nice is secondary to that.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I call BS. Name this town where the property owner is not allowed to trim the trees on his own property.
He's likely talking about "City Trees". They're a required fixture within City right of way. I've never seen a City ordinance that prohibits trimming and maintenance, but I have seen ordinances against cutting the tree down without a permit for operating within the road right of way.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
They are trimming them back so you dont lose power. relax, and let them do their job.
Not only that, but if you're too much of a thorn in their side they might start maintaining their easement to the fullest extent of the document. I've seen people who caused a problem being forced to move sheds, pool decking, and such from easement areas.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:31 PM

31,941 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
What to do when the power company or town starts cutting down or trimming your tress in the name of safety, but gets chainsaw happy and starts cutting down branches that pose no danger just to be "extra extra safe".

Really bugs me when they do this to my trees.

You do realize that the great northeast blackout of 2012 started when a tree branch took out a power line in Ohio?

As someone affected by that event for a day or so while sorry about your tree would much rather power companies take an extra measure of precaution.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
Quote:
They are charging, they get paid by taxes to do this.

And I am talking about excessive cutting.
Utilities do not get your tax money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House