Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:44 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times

Advertisements

I had an old water stain (I assumed it was a water stain) on the ceiling in my bedroom. I painted over it without priming---just used a ceiling paint. This is an older house so I suspect the ceiling hadn't been painted in decades. A few months later the stain came back, darker than it was before I painted. The size doesn't seem to be bigger, but it is definitely darker now.

We recently had alot of rain and wind. I was concerned that my roof may have leaked. The ceiling is not wet at all.

My attic is directly above this ceiling. I went up there and could not find any evidence of water. There aren't any pipes up there or heating or cooling units up there. The roof looks dry. The insulation felt dry.

Is it possible for a stain to get darker simply from re-painting it? Does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm planning to seal/prime/paint, but don't want to do that if there is an active leak.

Edit to add: it's currently pouring right now and the ceiling still isn't wet. I'm just really perplexed about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Just because it's raining now doesn't mean the spot will be wet instantly. Give it 12-24hrs. Very rarely is the leak directly above the place it shows up- water tends to travel along rafters, ceiling joists, drywall joints, etc. BEFORE it makes its grand entrance.

After the allotted time and still dry, use some primer/sealer then paint.

You could also use a pencil to outline the current stain, then see if it enlarges. It's hard to tell sometimes if a stain has grown or not by memory or no reference point.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,889 times
did you have the roof inspected at move in?

Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just because it's raining now doesn't mean the spot will be wet instantly. Give it 12-24hrs. Very rarely is the leak directly above the place it shows up- water tends to travel along rafters, ceiling joists, drywall joints, etc. BEFORE it makes its grand entrance.

After the allotted time and still dry, use some primer/sealer then paint.

You could also use a pencil to outline the current stain, then see if it enlarges. It's hard to tell sometimes if a stain has grown or not by memory or no reference point.
Thanks. We've had rain for second day in a row now so I'm hoping if something is going to happen it will happen soon.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
did you have the roof inspected at move in?
I've owned this house for 20 years. I replaced the roof around 13 years ago. The stain was there when we purchased the house (I think).

We had a leak in the roof 6 years ago, but we were able to trace it to flashing around the vent. That was pretty obvious b/c ceiling was actually dripping. That was repaired and it never leaked again.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
A stain can absolutely bleed through the new paint even though the leakage that caused the stain has long since been eliminated. If you can't find any evidence of water, use Kilz to seal the old surface before repainting.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Put down some paper over the area in question in the attic or scrawl space to see if there is water getting in. I had an old water stain in the ceiling of a house and paint would not cover it. I found out that white spray paint will cover it.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
A stain can absolutely bleed through the new paint even though the leakage that caused the stain has long since been eliminated. If you can't find any evidence of water, use Kilz to seal the old surface before repainting.

^^ this

Water stains are notorious for seeping through paint. Kilz is excellent at sealing the stain so it stops the bleed through.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Put down some paper over the area in question in the attic or scrawl space to see if there is water getting in. I had an old water stain in the ceiling of a house and paint would not cover it. I found out that white spray paint will cover it.
Oh, that is a good idea. Thanks! I have pencil drawn around the stain and so far it isn't expanding. We've had days of rain.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Just in case you were wondering.....lol, I ended up buying a moisture detector and it's not picking up moisture. It never expanded beyond my pencil lines and no wet paper towels, either. Still raining, too.

I just can't figure out why the stain came back darker than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House