Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 01:34 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

There are people who enjoy going back to the same places over and over again. For people who do that and have the money for it, if it makes them happy, why not?

When I was younger, we drove upstate all of the time for the weekends because my uncle bought a piece of property from my grandparents. It was the weekend getaway.

He also used to be doing projects all of the time, which is also his nature. It's hard for him to relax because he's always busy. And one day his son said to him, "Why are we always mowing? Just let it grow who cares." And that's pretty much what they've done since.

Nowadays I see a lot of people put their vacation properties on airB&B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 01:58 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
why do you think they put them up for rent instead of using them ?

usually it is because after a few years they can be quite boring to keep going to as well as once the novelty wears off having 2 sets of all your expenses isn't much fun in my opinion .

Old 10-01-2016, 06:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Rent offsets expenses and can help pay for home over time if it is in good location and owners are flexible w/times they visit.

We have second home next door to our daughter in Fl...makes visiting for long periods 2 mo or so possible since we have dog and cat we bring with us. But it is long drive from home in TX...we spend night each way...and of course you have double the expense.
We are considering downsizing home in TX--we have way more space than we need and many of reasons we bought larger home after kids were gone have changed or just not been born out...

Needs are personal and decisions should be...

Old 10-01-2016, 06:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
why do you think they put them up for rent instead of using them ?

usually it is because after a few years they can be quite boring to keep going to as well as once the novelty wears off having 2 sets of all your expenses isn't much fun in my opinion .

Obviously. But not everyone is like that. The property I was talking about above has been in the family longer than I've been alive and my uncle tries to go up there at least every other weekend from Spring through Fall.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Glad you are happy! It is wonderful when you find what works for you.

DH and I know we don't want a vacation home. We would rather travel to various places than always go to one.
Same here. We're nomads at heart and take two vacations a year. There's a cruise ship/resort company line we enjoy in particular so when they run ticket sales once a year, we book with them. Then our other annual vacation is just the two of us to (Insert Random Place of Awesomeness Here)

Old 10-01-2016, 12:42 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I have this dream of a house in Maine that we can rent out during the tourist season and live in for a couple of months in the winter, or rent out for winter sports people if we choose not to go. It will have a property manager that will take care of the little things. I'd be happy if it breaks even financially and we can live there for free for a couple of months out of the year. Maybe it's just a dream, maybe it will be a reality when I stop being so lazy and do something about it

Old 10-01-2016, 02:47 PM

525 posts, read 660,541 times
I personally think making dreams a reality is what life SHOULD be about.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
I bought my vacay home in 2005...I drove away...said goodbye...in the rearview mirrow...for 2 years...to go back to waterfront home in fl for the winter...I YEARNED to be in my 1886 farmhouse with the snow coming down and the wind blowing!!!! I love it....sold fl house...never want to leave here....I'm a homebody, dogs horses, for me....its a beautiful life...exceeded any fantasy I ever had about a farmhouse in the country....ahhhhhhhh...adore living here

Old 10-01-2016, 04:11 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
great that you've found your niche.

No vacation home for me either. I can rent for a couple weeks a year cheaper. And I think most rental owners would let you book for the next year so you can go back to the same area. Until you feel it's time to move on and find a place to rent someplace else.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:50 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
The big isssue with our vacation home was it wasn't just the expense of keeping the home going which was about 10k a year with no mortgage. It was the fact we also gave up 12k income on the money we spent on the house too.

The real deal was that house cost over 20k a year. We could stay anywhere for that much and be wined and dined too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House