Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:55 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,923 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a small radiator for one of the bedrooms. The room is only 10 x10 with a seven foot ceiling, and a six foot closet on one wall. The room has been nothing but a problem to heat due to the furniture always blocking the baseboard heat. The thought is to remove the baseboard, and install the small radiator.
The first question is: Will a 2200 btu output be enough to heat this room?

The second is to do with tying it into the existing heat run. After reading the PDF it states it is not recommended to tie into a series run. My whole house is one big series, but the run I want to put it on only has one cast iron rad, and the baseboard I would like to remove, and replace. (second zone) If I were to make this rad the beginning of the run followed by the larger cast iron would I be able to do it. I would be using the 3/4 center outlets if it makes a difference. Also the total run is no more than fifteen from the boiler.
See link to PDF below. TIA to all who answer.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...e0683a5b16.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 08:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
If the manufacturer says no, then it would be quite clear that the answer is no; yes?

The Btu rating would be more than ample for that size room.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If the manufacturer says no, then it would be quite clear that the answer is no; yes?

The Btu rating would be more than ample for that size room.
Pretty much yeah, but I would kinda like to know the reason for it. Like not getting full output or the like. If need be I'll swap it for a column rad if it is a no go.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 AM

I would have to assume it would be diminished output rating- then again, I'd be curious as to any affect of the entire loop; Design versus proposed change(?).

Old 10-09-2016, 08:28 AM

Actually it probably wouldn't be too big a deal to put two pipe reverse return on that run given how short the run is. (Thinkin out loud here)

Old 10-09-2016, 09:32 AM

621 posts, read 1,124,533 times

Probably not in LI,NY. I'm in a mild climate and my btu/sq ft is around 25 depending on age of structure. Can the insulation and glass be improved to lower the demand?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post

Probably not in LI,NY. I'm in a mild climate and my btu/sq ft is around 25 depending on age of structure. Can the insulation and glass be improved to lower the demand?
All the windows were replaced with dual pane Pellas about ten years back, and I put roughly a R 60's worth of insulation in the attic space. When we bought this 1940's bungalow (750 sqft) I totally gutted everything down to the studs, because there wasn't an ounce of insulation anywhere. If the money wasn't so tight at the time I would have had foam sprayed, but just couldn't afford it at the time.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
They don't want it inline because each successive radiator needs to be sized a little larger to compensate for heat loss in the ones before it which may be part of the problem you have now. Doesn't mean you can't do it especially if it's only for two rooms, sizing correctly is the issue. A faster pump can also help.

The first question is presumably the thermostat is in the other room?

Which way is the water pumping, presumably the colder room is last?

Edit:

FYI if you have scrap yard near your house they will have a mountain of old cast radiators. Most are discarded from renovations and have nothing wrong with them. They are big and ugly but nothing nicer than sitting down to breakfast near one.

Last edited by thecoalman; 10-10-2016 at 05:48 AM..

Old 10-10-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They don't want it inline because each successive radiator needs to be sized a little larger to compensate for heat loss in the ones before it which may be part of the problem you have now. Doesn't mean you can't do it especially if it's only for two rooms, sizing correctly is the issue. A faster pump can also help.

The first question is presumably the thermostat is in the other room?

Which way is the water pumping, presumably the colder room is last?

Edit:

FYI if you have scrap yard near your house they will have a mountain of old cast radiators. Most are discarded from renovations and have nothing wrong with them. They are big and ugly but nothing nicer than sitting down to breakfast near one.
Thanks for the input.
1) The Tstat is in the bigger room which has a large cast iron rad that I found on CL.
It's 20' x 18' and stays quite toasty all winter long

2) Yes the bedroom is fed first in order to get the hottest water to that room.

To finish up, my plan is to change all the baseboard to cast iron rads in the near future. The problem with this particular BR is the lack of space to put the older casts. Given the newer design the four inch or less thickness is what I need to make this work. Would I be better of going with the newer thinner design column rads as shown on page four of this PDF? http://www.mysoncomfort.com/static_f...NT%20GUIDE.pdf

Old 10-10-2016, 06:52 AM

Taking all other needs/requirements out of the equation and basing your needs on size alone, only you can answer that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House