Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 12:00 PM

66 posts, read 149,421 times

Advertisements

Please move if not in the right forum.
Anyway, this morning I go to leave for work and our one garbage can was sitting at the end of the driveway behind my car. Our garbage day isn't until Thursday. The cans sit nestled up against our garage out of wind, not to mention it would have damaged my car if it blew across the driveway. There was no high winds anyway, and these are two large cans with wheels. I was running late so I wheeled it back and quickly asked my husband, who had just gotten home from midnight shift why it was there. He was going to ask me the same.
Thought that was very weird. I went to work and he text me that both cans were empty and if I had taken any garbage out. Well yes, one can was almost full. Kitchen garbage and dog poop bags.

So someone had to trespass onto my property to move the can and then take all the bags out. The fact that they even took the tied up little bags of poo is beyond me.

I have a msg into the local police just to say hey this is what happened. Unfortunately our little town doesn't have its own police so a neighboring town sometimes will be seen riding around but it's not often.

It is close to Halloween so maybe it could have been some kids.. but none the less I am creeped out especially since DH works midnight shifts sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 12:01 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,286 times
Why would anyone want to steal garbage??? That's really weird! Can you set a webcam out at night to see if you can catch whoever it is and see what's going on?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:07 PM

I think I am going to try to rig something up, there is actually pretty cheap motion sensor cameras I am looking at right now.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:10 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Could be identity theft or around this time of year could be kids looking for dog poo to put in a paper bag, leave on a doorstep and light as a prank. Security cams and DVRs are a way of taking some control... and, BTW, keep a bucket of water or a watering can inside by your front door for a couple of weeks.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:11 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,769,823 times
Might have been the police looking for evidence of an illegal marijuana grow.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Might have been the police looking for evidence of an illegal marijuana grow.
Lol, they won't find any of that. But wouldn't they need a warrant because the trash was not out on the curb?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,914,437 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to steal garbage
It's called identity theft. Any credit card bills you throw away with the credit card number is now their new charge card for internet purchases. Any bank account numbers are now in their possession and you can count on the account being emptied without you knowing it. Any Social Security info will now have them applying for credit cards in your name at their address. Any internet info you might have thrown away can have them into your business looking for all of the above.
It's a good practice to shred any bills or anything with your name on on it. A shredder is not an expensive insurance policy to keep the things you've worked so hard for, yours. DO NOT assume that your computer is safe. If they have your IP address, they can get into the temporary files and glean personal info on you. This comes from my Step son who works at the Pentagon and my nephew who is an administrator for one of the largest companies on Wall Street. I'd take the theft of the garbage VERY seriously. If it were me, I'd be calling ALL of the credit bureaus and report possible identity theft. I'd be calling my bank too. I've had it happen to me. It took me 10 years to finally get it all straight. Luckily I never found out who did it otherwise I'd probably be in prison.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,448 times
Funny thing, the same thing happened to my hubby a couple of weeks ago. He's staying in corporate housing in a very good/safe area where you put your trash bags (not cans) out at the curb where's it's picked up. His trash was missing when he went to work, but all the other bags for pickup were still at the curb -- very strange. It only happened the one time (so far) and he can't figure out why anyone would want his garbage. Needless to say, we NEVER put personal stuff into garbage anywhere we're at, so the ID thief or wannabe gets zilch....still it was very strange.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 PM

Luckily we have a bad habit of letting mail pile up on the kitchen table and then I go through when I get sick of it and shred it or we burn it. The only mail that may have been in the trash would have been fliers. However, there were boxes from Amazon with names and the full address and maybe some receipts. But it was mostly the kitchen garbage with food and other grossness and the poo bags.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:59 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,785 times
We also shred all bills and divide the shreddings up into various bags of trash which we take directly to the dump ourselves. We don't do trash collection. The only mail that ends up directly in the trash is junk mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House