Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times

Advertisements

I am searching for my first home to buy. The type of house I'm interested is split level: you climb stairs up to the main entrance door, but then the major rooms are on the same level (kitchen, master bed & bathroom, and living room). I did a thread search on split level houses, but not much here (they don't seem popular anymore).

A couple reasons I'd like a split-level:
-Once you're inside: no climbing stairs, unless going into the basement room or garage.

-Bedrooms in split level houses are high enough off the ground to leave a window open at night without worrying about peeping-toms or break-ins. (Provided that the home owner doesn't leave a ladder out in the open!).

-A little more territorial view than a single level house.

Downsides:
-If any family member breaks a leg or can't walk, I'd have to install one of those electric chair lifts to get up the stairs.
-Not pet-friendly for some dogs

Share your thoughts and opinions about split level houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 12:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Some will love them: some will hate them.
They are common in some areas, but other areas have none at all.

Get what you like and can afford... no matter what strangers say!

Old 06-27-2013, 12:30 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
My last house was a split-level. When you walked in the front door, you were in the living room. The only other rooms on that level were the dining room and kitchen. You had to go up 4 steps to get to where the bedrooms/bathrooms were, or go down 4 steps to get to the family room (with it's own half-bath), laundry/utility room, and the garage.

So, stairs were involved if you were in the kitchen or living room and needed to go to the bathroom. At the time, I personally didn't mind it. But, it was tough on my wife when she got hurt at work. Now that we've moved our new house is all one floor, I love that the only steps on the property are in the pool.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
The type of house I'm interested is split level:
you climb stairs up to the main entrance door but then ...
This sounds more like a "split entry". Meh.

An actual split level... you enter onto the LR/DR/Kit level.
Nicer ones will have foyer entry and a porch too with a few steps up from the lawn.

Then you go up to the bedroom/bath level or down to the den, utility room and garage level.
They'll often also have a full basement below the LR/DR level and a vaulted ceiling in the LR.
If you like stairs... they're a nice option for getting a LOT of SF.

At this stage in life... a smaller rancher works better.
With a "daylight basement" it's about the best of all worlds
Attached Thumbnails
Split Level Houses: share your thoughts-splitlevel1.png  

Last edited by MrRational; 06-27-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times
This is the type of split level house I'm considering:
Attached Thumbnails
Split Level Houses: share your thoughts-split-level-house.png  

Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Depending on where you're at in the country, split level can have different meanings. Up here in the PNW, the split level homes are split entrys, meaning there are exterior steps up to the mid point and a foyer between floors with steps going up and down to either floor. The "split levels" with 3 elevations (Bedrooms up, LV/DN/KIT mid, garage/family room down) are called tri-levels. The description you give sounds almost like a raised rambler, where you walk up exterior stairs to the top floor and have an interior stairway to the lower level.

None of those styles is popular anymore. Most people don't want to deal with stairs just to get to the living floor of the home. Uncovered outdoor stairways are also a slip hazard in wet/snowy climates.

^ that house looks like a split entry. Probably the least favorite layout I've ever lived in. How are there no stairs to climb once you're inside? Are you entering between levels?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:04 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
THAT would be a split entry, not a split level... at least in my neck of the woods.

LOL @ rancher... that term here refers to a person!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Split entry: Side by side staircases both up and down as you enter the front door.

Split level: Side by side staircases both up and down not as you enter the front door.

Tri level: Enter on main level, living room, dining room, kitchen and a 1/2 bath on that main level, one staircase in the home going upstairs (usually to bedrooms), one short staircase going down to a family room (and perhaps laundry or mud room) and garage level, then a full staircase to a basement.

I've often heard split entry floor plans referred to as a raised ranch too. Once you go upstairs, all of your living is on one level....like a ranch....only raised.

I live in a split entry. It's my first home and I don't like the floorplan. It was all I could afford when I first bought it. I hate the very small space in front of each staircase by the front door. Makes it difficult to great guests, and for people to leave in succession through the front door. I also hate it that the first thing guests see is my dirty carpet. I've considered replacing the carpeting with laminate but fear it will be too cold in the winter...and I hate wearing shoes or socks in the house.

I agree that being able to open an upper level bedroom window at night would be nice, but I live in a noisy area so I don't even reap that benefit.

I do like that the basement windows are above ground allowing more light to come in.

I also like that I have a better view of the mountains & mature trees from my deck--probably better than I'd get in a rambler/ranch.

I thought the end was near for my little 9lb dog once she went blind....stairs inside, stairs outside down from the deck to the grass. She has navigated very well. It's been 2 years.

The split entry floor plan has worked well when I have my gas fireplace insert in the basement lit. The heat rises up the staircase and heats my upper level very nicely.

My advice to you if you're considering a split entry, make sure the staircases are wide enough so that you don't damage your knuckles carrying a laundry basket or groceries. My staircases are too narrow, and the handrails just encroach on the width even more. I hate hauling groceries from the garage, up the zig sag staircases and into the kitchen.

Make sure there is enough room near the front door for you to welcome guests.

I'd avoid homes with driveways sloped toward your home. Heavy rains can cause flooding.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:15 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
I am searching for my first home to buy. The type of house I'm interested is split level: you climb stairs up to the main entrance door, but then the major rooms are on the same level (kitchen, master bed & bathroom, and living room). I did a thread search on split level houses, but not much here (they don't seem popular anymore).

A couple reasons I'd like a split-level:
-Once you're inside: no climbing stairs, unless going into the basement room or garage.

-Bedrooms in split level houses are high enough off the ground to leave a window open at night without worrying about peeping-toms or break-ins. (Provided that the home owner doesn't leave a ladder out in the open!).

-A little more territorial view than a single level house.

Downsides:
-If any family member breaks a leg or can't walk, I'd have to install one of those electric chair lifts to get up the stairs.
-Not pet-friendly for some dogs

Share your thoughts and opinions about split level houses.

I like them. I also think that they are making a come back in popularity. Many people are really appreciating all things "Mid Century" and this is a style of house that was developed smack in the middle of the MCM building frenzy.

They are part of the second generation of Post WWII homes. The first generation tended to be neo-colonials, 11/2 story "Cape Cods" or single floor "ranch" style homes. All had been built before.
The "Split" was a real Mid Century invention.

It's a well designed home. The main floor having the formal living and dining room as well as the kitchen, makes sense.

Upstairs are 3 or sometimes 4 bedrooms.

Downstairs there's a "rec room" and sometimes another bedroom and office. There is a back door on the lower level that generally leads to a patio. Perfect for kids, who can enter and exit through the back with out walking through the main part of the house.

Except for someone with a disability, I think it's a good family floor plan.

Look for ones with Cathedral ceilings on the middle floor and a basement beneath the recreation room.

A much better lay out than the "neo colonial" that came after it.

There are also "Front to back" and "Colonial Splits" that have a slightly different layout. I like all of them.

Not to be confused with the "High" or "Raised" ranch - which is ugly anyway you slice it.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
This is the type of split level house I'm considering:

Nope. That's a high ranch. Different. It feels like you're living in an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House