Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 01:49 PM

492 posts, read 638,274 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to replace my furnance for my walkout basement, which is about 900 square feet. The house is in Charlotte, NC, so the winters get cold, but not freezing. The basement it surrounded by dirt on three sides, and all windows are double panes. Upstairs there are two additional fairly new HVAC systems for the main and upper floor. The AC unit for the basement is also fairly new. This furnance is only for the basement.

Possible buyers of the house believe the furnace for the basement needs replacing. It's pretty old, and my inspection when I bought the house 4 years ago said the same thing, so despite it working fine right now, I believe it probably does need replacing. Their furnance guy quoted a replacement for that furnance at $4500. Is that a reasonable amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:52 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
It is working? I'd say no.

They're buying a used house with working, non-failing appliances. That's all they should expect.

The price is in the ball park for an oil or gas unit.

Will you replace the old stove/refrigerator/sink?

Old 12-06-2016, 02:10 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I can't think of too many things people don't replace until they fail, except light bulbs.

Systems in a house have a life expectancy. A gas furnace typically has an expected life of 16 years. While they may still be "working", the heat exchanger (for instance) is likely about done. No one wants to replace a furnace, or water heater after it has failed, or after they just moved into their new house.

You did not mention the actual age of the unit. However, if it was considered old 4 years ago, its probably ready to go. If you priced your house lower to account for the age of the furnace, then I would say the buyer is on their own. If you got top dollar, then maybe it might be in your court to replace the old unit, or maybe split the difference with the new buyer.

If a HVAC contractor can give it a thumbs up (after a tune up service), then maybe buy them a one year warranty.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:36 PM

155 posts, read 156,441 times
Gas or oil?

Just offhand, the price seems high to me. We just replaced a 43 year old natural gas furnace here in September (heats 1500 sf upstairs and 1400 sf downstairs) with a new standard efficiency gas unit for $3600. I suspect I could have done that cheaper, but have used the company before and know they'll stand behind the furnace and the work.

I'd get another quote or two. Check company ratings in your area, too. When we quoted a furnace + A/C for my daughter's place a few years ago, the quotes ran from $6500 - $10,000+. Quite a variance and the $6500 place worked out great.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
It's working; done.

Price the house right and there should be no squabble- Charlotte right now is a seller's market; and should be in the 95-97% of asking price.

Don't get wrangled into something you don't want to get involved in...

...there's another buyer waiting.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:20 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I live in CT in a 900 sq ft ranch,well insulated with excellent window's.I have hot air heat.
When I moved in I saw that bay window wall register was disconnected and diverted to heat basement.I reconnected it and installed a blue flame 18,000 BTU heater to natural gas line to heat basement,has fan and thermostat,never had it above #2 setting to maintain 70 degree's,We have laundry in basement.
My gas bill with gas water heater was $860 for last year.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post

Possible buyers of the house believe the furnace for the basement needs replacing.
It's pretty old, and my inspection when I bought the house 4 years ago said the same thing...
Let them adjust their offer to reflect what they believe the value is...
the same as YOU did when you bought and learned to live with things as they are.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Sounds about in the ballpark.

I've replaced two. One was an emergency job in the middle of winter for a 2500 sq ft house around $7K for a gas unit.

Another was $6K for a replacement oil unit for a 3K sf house.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:08 PM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's working; done.

Price the house right and there should be no squabble- Charlotte right now is a seller's market; and should be in the 95-97% of asking price.

Don't get wrangled into something you don't want to get involved in...

...there's another buyer waiting.
I would roll with this philosophy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House