Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times

Advertisements

BBB is worthless, and means even less when you file a complaint.

If it was a small job, then its a small job. probably not worth trying to sue someone over. Get another electrician over to fix whatever wasn't fixed and move on. This time, don't pay until the job is finished to your satisfaction.

You shouldn't have paid the first guy until the job was finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 08:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
The BBB doesn't have any actual power.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
The state licensing board, is where the power lies to get it taken care of. A formal complaint to them, will get action, unless he is a real bum and possibly not licensed but then he is in real trouble do electrical work without a license is a big NO-NO.

Fooling around with the BBB and social media, is not the answer in cases such as yours. Go to the ones with the power, to revoke his license if he does not take care of the problem. That is how you get results.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 AM

6 posts, read 5,141 times
I am scratching my head at what kind of problem could happen with residential electrical work. Do you mind sharing a few details of what isn't working?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 5,916 times
The job was to install a transfer switch. One of the 4 circuits did not work. I am guessing the switch is defective.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The state licensing board, is where the power lies to get it taken care of. A formal complaint to them, will get action, unless he is a real bum and possibly not licensed but then he is in real trouble do electrical work without a license is a big NO-NO.

Fooling around with the BBB and social media, is not the answer in cases such as yours. Go to the ones with the power, to revoke his license if he does not take care of the problem. That is how you get results.
BBB can send out a letter but will do nothing if he's not a member. Not everyone checks social media.

Call the contractors board. Quickest most effective, no money way. They will do an investigation. If this is your problem/issue they'll just tell you there is nothing they can do.

If he's not licensed in some states it id a big deal and the district attorney gets involved. Charges filed against him.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:37 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Small claims court!

I second that!!!!

Next time, use someone that is referred by family or friends. That way you at least know the person is honest.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:47 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawis View Post
The job was to install a transfer switch. One of the 4 circuits did not work. I am guessing the switch is defective.
A transfer switch will energize an entire bus ( multiple circuits ) with 1 single throw of the 'switch'

The fact that a single circuit has no power leads me to believe the branch circuit has a problem and NOT the transfer switch.

And oh yea ... you should have tested EVERYTHING prior to paying him when you 'thought' the job was finished

Ex IBEW electrician here ( I know a thing or 2 about electricity )

Old 12-12-2016, 02:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Take it from someone who is out $6000, paid out $11,000 already for a small renovation job to a mobile home.
Tried BBB, reported them to government licensing bureau,
filed suit, went to mediation, pretrial, but were not able to reach agreement. I had to drop the small claims suit because of being fragile at the time (disabled senior).
These contractors know they are scott-free. you can file at a fee but I am sorry to say you won't win. They lie.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:37 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,910,552 times
Had the man had any idea what he was doing, not only would it have worked the first time, but he would have returned to fix it after you told him there was a problem.
The reason for both scenarios one and two are the same, he has no idea what he is doing.
You learned a lesson for the money you paid. Next time get a professional and make sure everything works before writing a check. Sometimes it doesn't pay to try to save a few bucks.
I had an electrician do $1100 worth of work last May, over six months ago. Just today I discovered a possible problem with one of the outlets he installed. I called him this morning and explained the situation and he will be out tomorrow to check it out.
He wasn't cheap, but he is a licensed profession and will stand behind his work..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House