Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 12:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,334,689 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I lost all water pressure in a sink in my bathroom. The next day, I lost all water pressure in a shower in a different bathroom (shared wall), and today my toilet stopped working/won't fill with water. On top of that, my water softener has been running for almost 5 hours, trying to fill with water, but it's BONE dry. It is in the basement under the bathroom where I've lost all water pressure.

I can't get a plumber to my house until Wednesday. It's a rental house, so I just have to deal with a management company that doesn't seem to care too much.

In the meantime, I don't want the water softener to break and cost the homeowner even more money.

What should I do???

The water is completely fine/normal everywhere else in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 01:34 PM

525 posts, read 660,974 times
This is their issue and you need to be documenting everything you are doing to tell them about the issue. And the water softener breaking will not be your fault. But it should have an electrical source you can cut off.

Austin Tenants’ Council/Texas Property Code

Should switch this to the renter board...

Old 01-21-2017, 02:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,923 times
Switch the water softener to bypass till you can figure out what the issue is.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
San Antonio? Basement? That must be an OLD house. King William, South Town, Monte Vista are the only areas I'm aware of that MIGHT have a basement or a coal bin. The probabilities are high that the house is plumbed with galvanized pipe and it will go to rot from the inside and sometimes, the HIGH mineral content of the Edwards water will condense out enough to completely stop all water flow going thru the pipes. This could be a minor issue and then it could be a major disaster requiring the entire house to be replumbed. I would strongly suggest the management company take control over it and you not touch anything....and that includes the water softener.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Something doesn't make sense here. Water softeners are water-powered. The only thing the electricity does is run the timing mechanism which opens and closes the valves. If it's not getting water, it won't run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House