Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
He says he currently has 1" conduit already in place, so that should be good to go.
Can he run run this with 10-3...?
NO. He cannot.
You can't put 10/3 cable (or NM) inside the conduit.

Quote:
What gauge should that be for his approx 50 foot run?
1" pvc *should be* able to handle four #4 conductors (that's the max by code)
It'll be a tight pull but with a short run like 50 feet.. tolerble.

#4 in COPPER will also allow you up to 95Amps (at 90C)
spend the extra now

Last edited by MrRational; 01-24-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Thanks for the info. The distance is 52 feet to the bottom of the garage wall, and the panel would sit about 4 ft up, so the distance would be less than 60 ft total.

Assuming that with a 40A breaker we are discussing double pole so that it accepts 2 hots? If so that would be great. In that instance, would there be any issue with just using the 50A breaker I already have that isn't in use? Would #8 THWN carry the load from a 50A breaker?

I can easily have the grounding rod installed right outside the wall if need be.

This is sounding more in the wheelhouse of what I can afford so hopefully he will give me similar recommendations when he comes out. Looking at HD I would be at less than $800 to buy everything and he said I can go with him and buy it from his electrical supply company to get his discount. Good to know that it won't require a giant effort to fix this!
If you decide to run #8 to the garage you need a 40 amp double pole breaker installed in the house panel. A 50 amp breaker is for #6.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
40 year licensed commercial electrician and I am not going to give you any advice other than to get a qualified electrician to come to you home and do the calculations.

Nobody on this thread can tell you what you need and what it will cost without being there.

Remote free estimates are worthless.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Nope perfectly fine and code compliant to use 20 amp outlets on 14ga wire. You can also use 15 amp outlets on 12ga wire. Please do not comment on things if you don't have the knowledge or experience.
Not here. At least not according to our electrical inspector, which means not here. He required all 20 Amp circuits to be on 12 ga wire. 15 amp circuits can be on either, but 12 ga is a waste of money unless it is a really long run.

Actually it appears the inspector and I were both correct. http://diy.stackexchange.com/questio...-14-gauge-wire This is not a code osource, but you can find it if you need it.

"Please do not comment on things if you don't have the knowledge or experience."

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-24-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 02:30 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
40 year licensed commercial electrician and I am not going to give you any advice other than to get a qualified electrician to come to you home and do the calculations.

Nobody on this thread can tell you what you need and what it will cost without being there.

Remote free estimates are worthless.

I guess you missed the point of the thread?

I am not asking anyone to perform the calculations. I am asking for advice on what I might be looking to spend so that WHEN the ELECTRICIAN has time to come out I have a ballpark idea of whether or not I can afford the work. I am doing research in advance prior to wasting his time. I have provided the information on everything currently there, and what will be ran on it.

If something glaringly obvious is going to need major rework (like busting up my patio) it isn't worth the effort right now and I would rather know that now than waste his time.

I grew up in the construction industry but I'm not an electrician hence the reason I am researching and asking questions instead of jumping into it blindly.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:37 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NO. He cannot.
You can't put 10/3 cable (or NM) inside the conduit.

1" pvc *should be* able to handle four #4 conductors (that's the max by code)
It'll be a tight pull but with a short run like 50 feet.. tolerble.

#4 in COPPER will also allow you up to 95Amps (at 90C)
spend the extra now
I've already planned on copper. I know aluminum has been debated and it will technically work but there are some downfalls to using it.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not here. At least not according to our electrical inspector, which means not here. He required all 20 Amp circuits to be on 12 ga wire. 15 amp circuits can be on either, but 12 ga is a waste of money unless it is a really long run.

Actually it appears the inspector and I were both correct. wiring - 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge and 14 gauge wire - Home Improvement Stack Exchange This is not a code osource, but you can find it if you need it.

"Please do not comment on things if you don't have the knowledge or experience."
Again you have no idea what you are talking about sorry to be blunt. I never said anything about circuit wire size, i was talking about 15 and 20 amp receptacles both are legal and NEC code compliant to be used on both 15 and 20 amp circuits. The only time a 20 amp receptacle is required is when it's a single outlet on the circuit.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I've already planned on copper. I know aluminum has been debated and it will technically work but there are some downfalls to using it.
There is nothing wrong with aluminum wiring that is used today. The majority of the electrical grid is aluminum and most homes in the country have aluminum wiring for the service.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:02 PM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
There is nothing wrong with aluminum wiring that is used today. The majority of the electrical grid is aluminum and most homes in the country have aluminum wiring for the service.
And that's where it ends .OUTSIDE the house . Only a fool would use Al wiring inside his home .

Old 01-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
And that's where it ends .OUTSIDE the house . Only a fool would use Al wiring inside his home .
Aluminum wiring is not manufactured anymore in sizes for branch circuits. Not because it's dangerous anymore it's just not necessary because we don't have a shortage in copper like we did in the 50s.

Current aluminum alloy is just as safe as copper. If they made alumininum wire for use in homes today i would use it without worry. The modern aluminum alloy is much different today then it was in the 50s.

Your logic that "and that's where it ends OUTSIDE" makes no sense. So if it's dangerous why would the whole electric grid use it and strap it to the side of your house?

p.s. I forgot to add the aluminum service conductors go inside the house into your panel obviously.

Last edited by eddie1278; 01-24-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House