Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM

5 posts, read 3,068 times

Advertisements

I had a home inspection done and I have a couple of Pluming and HVAC questions. Please see the two attached images from the inspection.

How important and cost to fix the 24 AVC Power Transformer (what is this)?

Thermal Expansion Tank... What's this and is it a major issue?

Sorry I could not copy/paste the info as it was a PDF so I uploaded the attached screen shots.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Inspection Plumbing and Heating-1.jpg   Home Inspection Plumbing and Heating-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:56 AM

14,559 posts, read 12,214,066 times
Are you the buyer? This is a home you're buying?

First is not a big deal... looks like he wants to better support the weight of that tank so it doesn't stress the fittings and pipes. Strap the tank itself or provide a shelf for it to sit on or something.

Second... I'm not real clear on... I would call the inspector and ask, it's OK to ask him questions... or call and HVAC company and ask.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM

5 posts, read 3,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Are you the buyer? This is a home you're buying?

First is not a big deal... looks like he wants to better support the weight of that tank so it doesn't stress the fittings and pipes. Strap the tank itself or provide a shelf for it to sit on or something.

Second... I'm not real clear on... I would call the inspector and ask, it's OK to ask him questions... or call and HVAC company and ask.
I'm the buyer.

This is actually a home inspection from the previous buyer where the loan fell thru so the selling agent passed this onto us before making the offer. So I'm unable to ask the inspector as this was done for the previous buyer where the load fell thru. I not handy at all and these kind of things are intimidating when buying a house. I'm assuming the white tank just needs to be secured to the roof truss as well? So if it fills with water it's wont fall/break off? That should be an easy fix.

More concerned about the 24 AVC Power Transformer.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighguy1999 View Post
I had a home inspection done and I have a couple of Pluming and HVAC questions.
1). Inspectors NEED to find silly crap to make their service seem worthwhile.
2) Be glad they only have silly crap.
3) The BUYER should remedy these two silly crap items

The tank needs about $2 in hardware
The transformer needs to be located.
Whoever installed the equipment (it is there I'm sure) will know.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:54 AM

15,818 posts, read 20,586,820 times
Expansion tank is no big deal. $5 in home depot hardware and you are done.

I also echo that the 24V transformer is probably there somewhere. Needs to be found. Usually its what powers the various thermostats scattered around.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,332,986 times
So you are using a report that someone else paid for? There is probably writing on the report indicating that it belongs to the person named, and no one has the right to use it (except for that transaction only).
As a home inspector, this is one thing that really irks us. Think of it as the same as buying software or a music c/d, then making copies and giving it away to your friends.
The selling agent has no right to pass this report on to you. If someone calls me with a questions about a report I issued, but they are not my client, I will not answer questions. They did not hire me.

That said, the expansion tank support is very easy to fix. The zoning issue needs to be looked at by a HVAC contractor.
Hire your own inspector though.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:55 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,195,776 times
Yes; hire your own inspector.
Besides the obvious no-no's pointed out by BS, how do you know it's even legitimate? And for that matter how experienced is the inspector? It could have been some clown's very first.

This would be a great (and deceitful) way to get a naive buyer to buy thinking that that was the only "problems" with said house.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,187,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighguy1999 View Post
I'm the buyer.

This is actually a home inspection from the previous buyer where the loan fell thru so the selling agent passed this onto us before making the offer. So I'm unable to ask the inspector as this was done for the previous buyer where the load fell thru. I not handy at all and these kind of things are intimidating when buying a house. I'm assuming the white tank just needs to be secured to the roof truss as well? So if it fills with water it's wont fall/break off? That should be an easy fix.

More concerned about the 24 AVC Power Transformer.

Thank you for the reply.
I would not recommend using an inspection from a previous buyer. Most reports have legal language indicating they have no liability to a 3rd party. You also don't know how good of an inspection it was. Both issues noted are relatively minor. I would think there would be much more.... even with a "good" house.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:32 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,187,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Actually they don't NEED to find silly crap (which is a matter of opinion). If that tank were to leak because of stress on the fitting due to improper strapping, who is the home buyer going to call? It won't be you! Who will they want to pay for the damage? It won't be you. Unfortunately, we live in a very litigious society and that is the reason they need to find and report on that "silly crap."

Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,332,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

You do realize that its much less work to find nothing wrong, right? Everything we find, makes us spend time writing, taking photos, etc. It would be much faster and less work to find everything is perfect in a home. Inspectors do not need to justify our fees by finding anything. When I find the rare house where there is very little wrong, my clients do not feel cheated. The are relieved that I just confirmed that the house was in good condition.
If we only got paid for each defect, or didn't get paid if we fine something, it would be another story. Its ridiculous to think that we just find petty things just to make the report longer.
The other side of this coin is the issue of liability. People are lawsuit happy, so inspectors try to find everything we possibly can to keep from getting sued. If I find doors that will not latch when you close them (very common), I put it in my report. While it is a simple fix (most of the time), it might be a huge deal to someone if their bedroom or hall bathroom door will not latch. I can guarantee you that if I didn't write it down, there will be that one person that finds it after they move in, and want me to pay to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House