Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:02 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Yes, that is typically how they were wired in the 70's and 80's when GFI's were first required. They wired one circuit to power all bathrooms, garage outlet, and outdoor outlet (everything that was required to be GFI at the time). And it was usually 15-amps, not even 20. This was a penny-pinching scheme so they only had to use one GFCI device, but it caused a lot of inconvenience for homeowners with tripped breakers.

Nowadays each of those areas needs to be on a separate 20-amp circuit.
This is why codes and regulations are important. I also got rid of all the back stabbed stuff in my home... I'm either using the screws or spec grade where you go in the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Yes, that is typically how they were wired in the 70's and 80's when GFI's were first required. They wired one circuit to power all bathrooms, garage outlet, and outdoor outlet (everything that was required to be GFI at the time). And it was usually 15-amps, not even 20. This was a penny-pinching scheme so they only had to use one GFCI device, but it caused a lot of inconvenience for homeowners with tripped breakers.

Nowadays each of those areas needs to be on a separate 20-amp circuit.
But my house was built in 2002.....so not so typical afterall I suppose.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:19 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
House was built in 13 and disposal is wired into one of the gfci 20amp breaker that supplies some of the counter outlets. Dishwasher and microwave on dedicated separate outlets, but fridge is not. Tripped the breaker in the fridge while running waffle maker. The most accessible outlet for tall appliances is on the same breaker as the fridge.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:25 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
The electrical was the worst part of our kitchen remodel. Electricians underestimated the number of circuits and had to install a new panel at no cost to us. They took forever to get the required AFCI circuits working, and tried to connect an existing 2 wire (house built in 1952) circuit to a grounded circuit. We ended up with dedicated 20 amp circuits for the fridge, the microwave, and the dishwasher, plus several new small appliance circuits. But, it took an every day effort to get the electrician to follow code.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:36 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The electrical was the worst part of our kitchen remodel. Electricians underestimated the number of circuits and had to install a new panel at no cost to us. They took forever to get the required AFCI circuits working, and tried to connect an existing 2 wire (house built in 1952) circuit to a grounded circuit. We ended up with dedicated 20 amp circuits for the fridge, the microwave, and the dishwasher, plus several new small appliance circuits. But, it took an every day effort to get the electrician to follow code.
Then that is not an electrician...period. Sounds like you hired someone off craigslist or from a forum like this who googles up the basics of electrical work and thinks they are an electrician

Old 01-30-2017, 08:06 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Then that is not an electrician...period. Sounds like you hired someone off craigslist or from a forum like this who googles up the basics of electrical work and thinks they are an electrician
Nope, the electrician was contracted by our general contractor, and was one of the large electrical firms in town (they have close to 100 electricians). They were just very sloppy and wanted to cut corners after realizing how badly they underbid the job.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:19 PM

217 posts, read 237,657 times
Quote:
Nope, the electrician was contracted by our general contractor, and was one of the large electrical firms in town (they have close to 100 electricians). They were just very sloppy and wanted to cut corners after realizing how badly they underbid the job.
Did the workers (electricians) underbid the job, or did the electrical contractor (their boss) bid the job? I, myself, would know right away whether a new panel upgrade was needed or not. And I would always put those appliances on their own circuits in the first place.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:01 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
I've seen stuff that would make a legit electricians head spin Linda Blair style!
Amazing how many hacks and novices/diy guys are out there nearly burning houses down.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
So the work was done by a employees of the electrical company. The large companies hold one license and have the journeyman, mechanics, helpers do the work. The actual electrician or electricians that formed the company with their license rarely do any hands on work if the company is that big.

So you had a jman and some helpers do some ****ty work big deal it happens in every trade and career out there where employees are involved.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Lol....I know. She could have got some ass hat do it your selfer like me who ripped out the dry wall in his garage. Wired six new 20amp outlets on a new GFCI branch circuit and connected it directly to his fuse box. Then had the city inspector come out and stamp his permit with the comment. "Excellent job! You did some good work here." All of this from watching you tube, googling and browsing through a couple of books. Shudder to think I used the same references to connect and hang my own ceiling fan and it didn't even cost me $200. Eddie. I get it! You are an electrician by trade and I am sure you are very skilled and have years of experience, but your slamming of the DIY people is frankly getting old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House