Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times

Advertisements

About mid-day today, I was at the computer in my office and thought I heard scratching sounds.

Now, I live in Florida, and every once in a while a gecko or lizard gets in, as well as sometimes we have a bug you could put a leash and collar on and take for a walk. Plus, I have about 6 small boxes in the office yet to be unpacked from when we moved.

So, I listened, then kicked all the boxes, then moved them out of the room. Finally, it was clear, there is some kind of critter in the wall.

This is a two foot section of interior wall, adjoining a doorway, that is perpendicular to the front outside wall.

It also seems that whatever is in the wall is stuck there as the sound once I identified its location has remained the same off and on all day. I realize it could have come in anywhere, but I assume it came in somewhere at the front of the house via the attic down into the wall. Not sure why it is stuck.

I doubt I will be able to get anyone out until Monday.

BTW, I did hear scampering that to me sounds like a mouse. I suppose it could be a squirrel as they frequently also scamper across the roof. I also hear from time to time, a sound I can only describe as something swishing or kind of rubbing against something.

So here are my questions.

How long if this animal is stuck will it take for it to die on its on without water?

Its close to an electrical outlet. Should I trip the breakers and turn off power to the office and adjacent foyer. Slightly concerned if it is trapped around wires it could chew them and start a fire.

Do you agree its logical to assume the critter is trapped since the sound is coming from the same place all day? What in a wall would be trapping it?

Any other advice or anything I can do prior to getting a pro out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Yes, since the sound has been in the same place it could be trapped. Have you checked your roof, including eves, or your attic for an opening the animal could have gotten into? Do you have tree branches that lean over your roof? Is there any kind of sewer pipe opening on the roof near the wall the sound comes from?

It sounds like it could be almost anything. Rodent, squirrel, snake? Some sort of bees?

I'd get an exterminator since you really don't have a clue what is could be. It's not worth getting bitten.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yes, since the sound has been in the same place it could be trapped. Have you checked your roof, including eves, or your attic for an opening the animal could have gotten into? Do you have tree branches that lean over your roof? Is there any kind of sewer pipe opening on the roof near the wall the sound comes from?

It sounds like it could be almost anything. Rodent, squirrel, snake? Some sort of bees?

I'd get an exterminator since you really don't have a clue what is could be. It's not worth getting bitten.

Keep us posted.
We checked outside around the roof/eaves and didn't see anything. But, we may have missed something.

The attic is a no go lol. I am unwilling to go into the attic. My ceilings are 12 feet in most of the house except the office and bedrooms which are 9 feet ceilings. In any case, there is very little room to navigate in the attic. My husband is over 6' and has some mobility issues, so I don't want him up their either breathing in mouse poop if its there or losing his balance and punching through the ceiling. And, like I said, I am unwilling to go up there in case there is a snake mainly, but also I have some claustrophia issues and there is not much clearance. Willing to wait and pay a pro to check for holes that need to be fixed.

No trees. Sewer pipe does exit the house in the office, but at the floor, not the roof.

I don't think its a snake, as how would it make the mouse scampering sound. Squirrels down here are pretty scrawny so could be that.

Interestingly, since it got dark, I haven't heard anything. Definitely, I will be calling our pest control service to get them out.

But, that raises the question, if anyone else has dealt with this, how should I expect them to deal with it. What do they do if a varmint is trapped in the lower third of the wall?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 PM

749 posts, read 735,075 times
It's probably a mouse. You have electrical wires (among other things) running through your wall studs. A mouse can crawl through those holes with very little effort.

It will either find its way back out, or die shortly.

You would be shocked by how many small animal skeletons I've found, in walls, during home renovations. Sorry to say, but it's kind of a given.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
It's probably a mouse. You have electrical wires (among other things) running through your wall studs. A mouse can crawl through those holes with very little effort.

It will either find its way back out, or die shortly.

You would be shocked by how many small animal skeletons I've found, in walls, during home renovations. Sorry to say, but it's kind of a given.
OK, doesn't really surprise me, but do I need to be worried about it chewing the wires and starting a fire?

Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK, doesn't really surprise me, but do I need to be worried about it chewing the wires and starting a fire?
The likelihood of that is very very small. Mice don't like plastic.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The likelihood of that is very very small. Mice don't like plastic.
OK.........thanks.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK.........thanks.
I didn't read all the posts, so you might have already said. But... do you own this office building, or is it rented? If it's rented/leased, you should let the landlord know. As a landlord myself, I know that - technically - this kind of thing is my responsibility.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I didn't read all the posts, so you might have already said. But... do you own this office building, or is it rented? If it's rented/leased, you should let the landlord know. As a landlord myself, I know that - technically - this kind of thing is my responsibility.
This is a single family home that we own.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:15 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
I thought we had a mouse in the wall once and it turned out to be a bird! I would just call out a professional to deal with it because you don't know what it is and you don't know what disease it might have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House