Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,777,024 times

Advertisements

They live in the lower two shelves of our cabinet in the corner. They're buried underneath paper bags and dry goods. Nobody in my house wants to deal with it. I've thought of wearing gloves and blindly shoving everything into a garbage bag or bin and hoping it will catch the mice, then take out everything but the mice. I don't know how this plan will work as I have not carefully thought it out. The mice could probably scatter once they hear me coming and escape. To prevent that I could set up mice traps under the floor of where they might run to. Last night I placed some traps near the corner of our fridge and it caught one. But we only have one more trap left. Also, none of the stuff on the two shelves belong to me, minus two items I could easily remove. Is it my roommate's responsibility to clear the shelves since that stuff belongs to them? We all live in the same house so I will do it if nobody else will (looks like nobody else is doing anything), but since that stuff isn't mine, I feel weird about touching it...

Who should be paying for the traps? Our landlord or us? My roommates think it's our landlord's problem and he should do everything, but he doesn't live there so it doesn't bother him as much. So far he's been giving us the traps but placed them in the wrong places, ending up wasting them. Should I ask him to drop off more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post Destoy the mice, destroy their habitat, deny them access, shelter, food

For all but the extremely squeamish, mouse traps are reusable and repositionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Also, none of the stuff on the two shelves belong to me, minus two items I could easily remove. Is it my roommate's responsibility to clear the shelves since that stuff belongs to them? We all live in the same house so I will do it if nobody else will (looks like nobody else is doing anything), but since that stuff isn't mine, I feel weird about touching it...
It's their responsibility, but if you are the only one brave enough to deal with the mice, ask them to agree that it should all go in the trash, and then you follow through.

Get a good pair of gloves with long cuffs. Also I would wear a N95 mask when cleaning rodent debris, don't want to breathe in anything. You can get a disposable N95 Particulate Filter Respirator/Surgical mask for under two bucks each in quantity.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
once you catch one, make an example out of him, the remainder will flee in fear

(works with kids cutting across your lawn as well)

Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,085,641 times
Your basic mouse trap is like a dollar each. Maybe less. If you can't scrounge up the cash, start a go fund me account. Make the objective interesting and I bet you will do quite well from people who hate mice as much as you.

After you have bought the traps, put a little bit of flower on the trigger and put them in the cabinet where the mice are active. You will catch one a night until they are gone. Open the bar on the trap and the little bugger will fall into the trash for further disposal.

If you catch several, you can go for the soft fur glove set, or if you really get a lot of them, think about a coat. Nothing says fashion like a nice vermin wrap.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
"If you catch several, you can go for the soft fur glove set, or if you really get a lot of them, think about a coat. Nothing says fashion like a nice vermin wrap."

I dunno, cockroach jewelry is at least a close contender.

Posts like the OP fascinate me. I would be like "Pat, there are mice living in your crap. I'm tossing it all out. Deal with it." It sounds like the problem may not be the mice but some roomies who need to grow up..

Old 03-22-2017, 11:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
OP forget about whose responsibility it is to clean this out and buy and set traps. None of what you're describing is labor intensive or expensive. Like others have said, you will probably catch at least one mouse per night for awhile. That's what happened with us. We also figured out they were coming through the drier vent and we replaced that with one that has mesh over it.

Anyway, if I can pick up a mouse trap with a dead mouse in it and throw it away, anyone can. (I didn't say I did it without cussing and squealing!)

The thing that creeped me out the most was what you're describing - cleaning out the cabinet. I actually made my husband do that - LOL.

But I would have done it if I had to. I would have made a lot of noise first, banging around, and then I would have donned some gloves and just scooped stuff out into a trash bag.

Mouse traps are $1 or so each and if you don't want to deal with getting a dead mouse off of it, just chunk the whole thing.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:03 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Mouse Traps are cheap. $1 each or so. Buy a bunch, load them up with peanut butter and place them against the walls where they are likely to run.

You can reuse the trap, or just chuck it in the trash. That reminds me...time to set some traps with spring finally here. I usually get mice activity in the spring and fall

Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
We had mice (even with 3 cats). I bought these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven't seen a mouse since.

Cat

Old 03-22-2017, 01:28 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
The "Ultrasonic" devices give mixed results at best. What works consistently? The traditional methods of eliminating rodents -- traps (spring traps, glue traps) and poison to kill them, plus taking steps to close openings and remove food sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Who should be paying for the traps? Our landlord or us? My roommates think it's our landlord's problem and he should do everything, but he doesn't live there so it doesn't bother him as much. So far he's been giving us the traps but placed them in the wrong places, ending up wasting them. Should I ask him to drop off more?
You should ask the landlord to pay for sealing up any openings the mice are using. The pros like to use steel or copper wire mesh.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:36 PM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
I second the peanut butter bait. They love it.

You might also consider glue traps like these

Trapper Max Glue Board for Mice - Free Shipping

That way you don't have to look at their little furry faces, they're hidden inside the trap. We were infested with salamanders in the garage and this what the pros used, with stunning success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House