Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:15 PM

68 posts, read 71,196 times

Advertisements

The thread about tiny houses made me think it might be interesting to discuss how much space we actually want/need in our homes. So, assuming your ideal layout, how many finished square feet do you really want? How much additional unfinished storage space and garage space would you like with it?

The house we’re in now is just under 1,800sqft and is absolutely our ideal layout, but to make it truly perfect I’d add about 200sqft so the kitchen and dining room weren’t cramped and so I wouldn’t have to take a bite out of the hobby room to add a third floor bathroom. So our true ideal space would be about 2,000sqft. We also have a full unfinished basement (about 700sqft), which is more than enough storage space. I’d add a detached one car garage in a perfect world so I could keep my classic car out of the weather.

For the record, my family consists of four people, my parents, myself, and my husband. I feel we actually have quite a bit of stuff, between my mother’s crafting and the stuff needed for my home business, but 2,000sqft of living space is still plenty. I’ve had everything from 4,500sqft for three people (the dogs had their own 350sqft bedroom) to 1,000sqft for five people (I bought a camp heater so I could sleep in my van, as it was more spacious). I’d certainly take too much space over too little if those were the only choices, but I don’t miss cleaning, heating, and maintaining 2,000sqft more than we could possibly use either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:23 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
It's ideal in every way!
Attached Thumbnails
What Size House Is Ideal For You?-img_2717.jpg  

Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
We've yet to find an "ideal layout", most are just miserable. But, even with really poor layout, we've lived comfortably in 500sq/ft, just the top floor of 2 different 2000sq/ft homes (minus the laundry, why must it always be in the basement?), just the main and lower levels of a 1500sq/ft tri-level (so, 1200sq/ft?) and are right now looking for a home under 1000sq/ft total. I have a sneaky suspicion that a 2 bed, 1 bath house will be just fine, allowing for the 2nd bedroom to be our craft (sewing, stained glass, painting, framing, etc..) and exercise room.

For the garage, I've had everything from no covered parking to a 3 car garage... when I was doing full-time mechanic work, having a 2-car for myself was great, but in reality a 1 car suits all needs (parking for the wife, place to put tools and yard equipment, covered workspace when needed).

We need no additional "storage" space because we simply don't store items. Either use it or get rid of it, if it's used then find a place for it, if there's no place for it then do you Really need it?

We're only 2 people and a small dog though. No kids and the only "guests" we've had in the past decade have been family, parents mostly. They'd be more comfortable in a hotel, and in a pinch we have a cargo/camper van that we could sleep in and turn over our bed.

I think with an absolutely ideal layout, we could be fine and happy in 400~500sq/ft with a 1-car garage. 1 bed, 1 bath, mud-room/entry with washer/drier and a combined kitchen (with bar) living room. Building that would be more expensive than buying something else, and selling it would be impossible, so we will never have this experience.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:06 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
4/3 3200 sqft with attached 2 car garage a walkout daylight basement on a private wooded quarter acre lot.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
1800-2200 sf for us two. We like two living spaces one for reading and music and one more casual for TV and connected to outdoor entertaining, also a "formal" dining room or defined space in the living room is important because we love to host dinner parties, our formal dining room is only 10'x12' and yet we still get six regularly, eight on holidays. Don't care a whit about garage space as long as some street parking is available, but good storage is a must - give me a compact, beautiful and interesting urban garden instead. Would go less for the absolute best location- preferably urban- quiet enclave but still adjacent everything in a great city. Have absolutely no need or desire for a house larger than that.

We've got 1800 sf right now, beautiful historic house with an amazing terraced garden to a canyon in a quiet enclave directly adjacent a happening city so... pretty well know and got what we want. Pity the poor real estate agent that tells us we can't have it all when we know it's out there (if still rare) if we ever feel the need to move which is extremely unlikely.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:08 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I'd like a few rooms that are big and spacious...kitchen/ dining area with lots of counter space, living room with a view, cozy little TV room, 2 master suites, one on each side of the house. That's 5 rooms.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
I live by myself in a 1620 square foot 3 bed 2 bath house on a quarter acre lot. it is very near the perfect size for me. Not too large to keep clean and not nearly as small as all of the apartments I ever rented. The best part is the two car garage with a twelve foot ceiling. All of my storage is up high which frees the floor level for my car and project work spaces.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:05 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
the house i have now is fine, except i wish it had a 2nd bathroom

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I live by myself in a 1620 square foot 3 bed 2 bath house on a quarter acre lot. it is very near the perfect size for me. Not too large to keep clean and not nearly as small as all of the apartments I ever rented. The best part is the two car garage with a twelve foot ceiling. All of my storage is up high which frees the floor level for my car and project work spaces.
This is very similar to my house...but I also have an unfinished full basement that doubles the space. I don't really like basements or use it for much but my builder refused to do the job if I said "no basement"!

Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
For us it is not so much a matter of "living" space as "stuff" space. The spouse has a home-based business and an active music career plus a garage full of tools. All of that takes more space than we need to actually live in.

The main (top) floor of this house is about 1,100 sf and we could live in just this. (Bedroom, large closet, full bathroom, 2nd br converted to joint office, open living/kitchen/dining.) Although I'd like another bedroom and bathroom, so add say another 250 sf and we'd be snug and happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House