Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

They kind of serve as a calendar reminder for us.

"Here we are - time to clean out the pantry and get rid of anything old."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Thumbs up pheremone-laced "Tent trap"

I like the little sticky traps, like this:

Or the generic small sticky tent trap. The trick is to buy from somewhere with high turnover of their stock, as the pheremone has a short shelf-life.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:31 AM

50,357 posts, read 63,939,201 times
It's just something that happens to the best of us once in awhile. Last time I got them, the culprit was a Jiffy corn muffin Mix. If I am not using any kind of flour product right away, I store them in the freezer.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I like the little sticky traps, like this:

Or the generic small sticky tent trap. The trick is to buy from somewhere with high turnover of their stock, as the pheremone has a short shelf-life.
These are satisfying as they capture the annoying flying adults, but they do nothing about a little maggots in your jiffy mix that will continue reproducing more and more annoying flying moths and spreading to any other grain based food they can get into.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Wink Optimally control the food supply, but short of a carb-free diet, eliminating all grains from your pantry is difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
These are satisfying as they capture the annoying flying adults, but they do nothing about a little maggots in your jiffy mix that will continue reproducing more and more annoying flying moths and spreading to any other grain based food they can get into.
The larvae cannot reproduce, only the adult, flying stage reproduces and lays eggs. The pheremone traps, when fresh, catch the adult males before they can find a mate, breaks the life cycle.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
I had them once and it took months of due diligence to get rid of them. I would inspect several times a day with a flashlight. The underneath of shelves was a favorite spot to find them. When I found a couple, I would try to find the source. I found them in packages that had never been opened. I also got meal moth traps and set them up inside the cupboard. They won't eliminate them but they caught hundreds. The key is to eliminate all sources until you no longer find any. It becomes virtually impossible to keep boxes of cereal around.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM

427 posts, read 440,289 times
It can be anything from oats, grains, rice whatever. Sometimes these bugs arrive in boxes you purchased at the grocery story. Check closely. If you see bugs, take action. No easy answer, pull them out, dump, clean like a maniac and fog if need be. Then start over. Check your pasta boxes and bags by shaking. Rice, and other sealed carbs, check when open. If you see bugs, dump it! Store in sealable bags in fridge or freezer. Consider changing grocery stores! Good luck.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I had this problem once and like you, OP, I threw out everything opened in the pantry and thoroughly cleaned it. A few weeks later - back again.

So this time I threw out everything that was in a box, opened or not, and then I pulled up every bit of the shelving paper and repainted the pantry shelves. Never had a problem again. That was about 15 years ago. Since then, I have always put opened boxes of items in ziplock bags or plastic containers and I don't use shelving paper anywhere that I store food items.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The larvae cannot reproduce, only the adult, flying stage reproduces and lays eggs. The pheremone traps, when fresh, catch the adult males before they can find a mate, breaks the life cycle.
The larvae can reproduce, they just have to become adults. The concept the traps will catch all the males is a great one - except it does not work that way. Not even in our tiny 6' x 10' pantry with five or six of those traps. They catch a lot of moths, but they do not stop the reproduction cycle.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:46 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It's just something that happens to the best of us once in awhile. Last time I got them, the culprit was a Jiffy corn muffin Mix. If I am not using any kind of flour product right away, I store them in the freezer.

I do the same thing these days. I had an infestation which started in a container of bread crumbs. These suckers are already in there when you buy the product. I now put any flour, pasta, bread crumbs, etc. in the freezer for 24 hours before storing in the pantry.

Don't these things start out as bollweevils or do you have a different name for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House