Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I don't like the look of brick either, OP.

We bought a small ranch-style brick house and my husband thought we could paint it ourselves. I did a little research and discovered there's WAY more involved than with interior painting. We agreed we would hire a professional. But since it's an "investment property" that we haven't decided what we want to do with yet...it's still red brick for now.
Yes, that is what I gathered too-- that its more complicated than I might like to be able to do myself. I would definitely hire someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Both you and OP bought places that are brick, but you dont like brick. You don't live there, but the brick bugs you. I'm not sure how or why either happened. But that's just me.

I'm open to reading suggestions you get since I plan on painting a cement block garage that was previously painted by the former owner.
There is a lot more to a decision to buy a place than how the exterior looks on purchase. Paint, stucco, shutters, siding, railings, landscaping, etc., can make a huge difference. I don't think I have ever bought a place and left its exterior 100% alone. I like to remodel.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:16 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Some brick is a truly dreadful color, so I get that. But I would always look at ways to change the total picture rather than just paint the brick. Change the color/condition of the trim work or garage door or front door or any attached vinyl siding. New type/color of roof. Rip out misshapened, overgrown shrubs. Change the contour of the walk way and add plantings that take your eye away from the house. If at all possible embrace the brick, just find a way to get the rest of the facade to work with it.

That said, I do like the look of some whitewashed brick, but not if the neighbor houses are regular brick.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:19 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I don't think I have ever bought a place and left its exterior 100% alone.
I have. That's why I buy brick homes.
Inside? All bets are off.

Quote:
I'm open to reading suggestions you get since I plan on painting a cement block garage...
Block is a different matter.

As to painting it... do the prep right.
Scrape anything loose and use a good exterior oil based primer like KILZ.
Get that good base on over whatever paint might already be there.
Then think about the paint itself.

otoh... you might be lucky and have STAIN on it rather than paint.
You'll still need to scrape the loose though.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
I don't like the look of brick at all. The question was not "should I?" I would also paint or tear down real wood paneling in an interior. Or cherry kitchen cabinets. So please save your disdain for some other time. There are certain things I just don't like.

So to anyone else, have you done this?
This is a rent house, right?

Go ahead, paint the brick, rip out the paneling and replace with painted drywall, pull out the wooden kitchen cabinets and replace with Melamine covered particleboard, in accordance with your own tastes. Watch as the rent you can get decreases, because you have just removed a whole bunch of stuff most people like and replaced it with the blandest of the bland.

You mention "one of my properties" which implies you have some experience landlording, and if that's so you should know by now that your taste has absolutely nothing to do with how you should fix up a house for rent.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
Quote:
Both you and OP bought places that are brick, but you dont like brick. You don't live there, but the brick bugs you. I'm not sure how or why either happened. But that's just me.

I'm open to reading suggestions you get since I plan on painting a cement block garage that was previously painted by the former owner.
Quote:
There is a lot more to a decision to buy a place than how the exterior looks on purchase. Paint, stucco, shutters, siding, railings, landscaping, etc., can make a huge difference. I don't think I have ever bought a place and left its exterior 100% alone. I like to remodel.
Exactly. There are so many factors that go into a real estate purchase. And almost anything can be changed about a house. Painting, in the scheme of things, is very minor. Minor enough, at least, to not significantly affect the decision whether to purchase a property or not.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 AM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Painting brick should be a criminal offense.
Haha - I agree!

Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
Quote:
I don't like the look of brick at all. The question was not "should I?" I would also paint or tear down real wood paneling in an interior. Or cherry kitchen cabinets. So please save your disdain for some other time. There are certain things I just don't like.

So to anyone else, have you done this?

First, you need to decide what look you're going for. Several years ago the "kinda mottled look" was in. It basically consisted of lightly painting the brick - like whitewash. That was easy to do with a low-nap roller.

Second, assuming you just want to paint it so that - other than texture - it doesn't look like brick, you'll want to use a high-nap roller, use excellent primer made for that application, then roll on the topcoat.

The best option, honestly, is probably to spray it - but that requires a LOT of careful masking.

Either way, you MUST power-wash it down, preferably using a TSP solution, before painting.

If you are unsure what primer and paint to use, seek advice from Sherwin-Williams or another paint store - NOT from the teenagers working the paint counter at Home Depot.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
This is a rent house, right?

Go ahead, paint the brick, rip out the paneling and replace with painted drywall, pull out the wooden kitchen cabinets and replace with Melamine covered particleboard, in accordance with your own tastes. Watch as the rent you can get decreases, because you have just removed a whole bunch of stuff most people like and replaced it with the blandest of the bland.

You mention "one of my properties" which implies you have some experience landlording, and if that's so you should know by now that your taste has absolutely nothing to do with how you should fix up a house for rent.
Wow, the dramatic tone for such a banal question. I didn't say I was doing all of these things in rental houses. I just like what I like. I bought a house a few years ago with brand new high end cherry cabinets. Couldn't stand them, out they went. Replaced with high end white cabinets with glass doors.

Taste is a personal thing. No need to get all het up and call names. I dislike dark, heavy, wooden, brick anything on a wall. That's me. Others love this. To each their own.

Now if you have experience painting brick, please, I would love to hear from you. If you want to disparage my taste, feel free to start a thread about how much you dislike all the things I like. I will comment and we can argue.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
If you want to disparage my taste,
feel free to start a thread about how much you dislike all the things I like.
I will comment and we can argue.
Nah... No need to have two threads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House