Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:54 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I do intend to keep the house for a long time.

Perhaps I should broaden my question beyond just value, to also include the aesthetics (understand there is a level of personal taste)... Would a sheet rock wall with nice color paint make the place more modern and elegant?

Below is a more holistic view of my place... very "woody"

Attachment 184322
I would never replace real wood paneling with sheet rock.

I think I see at least part of your problem, though. Your house is sitting on its side. You might like it more if you rolled it over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If you insist on eliminating real wood paneling and having painted sheetrock walls (certainly would not be my choice), I recommend that you:

a) do NOT paint the wood paneling as that will irretrievably ruin it;

b) DO put the sheetrock over the wood paneling. That way, if you or a subsequent owner decides to go back to the wood paneling, it will be under there and there'll just be some nail holes to fill. You will have to space out your electrical outlets and switches which you can do with some handy plastic spacers which can be found at any hardware store.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosherry View Post
Paint or wallpaper could be options. That way, it's not permanent.
Painting wood paneling will be pretty much permanent. If you want to preserve the wood finish underneath you will have to varnish and wax the heck out of it before painting, which will make the paint not stick. If you want the paint to stick you will need to dewax and sand the wood, which will ruin the finish.

I recommend putting thin drywall over the wood without any other changes to the wood, so that if/when the drywall comes off there will just be some nail holes to fill and the original finish and patina of the wood are preserved.

Same thing as when you pull up carpet that has covered hardwood floors for 40 or 50 years.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:02 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
That looks like redwood to me, at least on the walls. The ceiling might possibly be cedar.

Would you add value by sheetrocking it? No, you would destroy value and destroy considerable value.

If you are careful, you might be able to sheet rock over the wood without doing too much damage. Do not paint that wood.

I do not understand why anyone would buy a house with all that really expensive wood paneling if they don't like wood.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If you are determined to get rid of that wood paneling, at least let someone come in and carefully remove it and put it to good use.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:13 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have a house that is very "woody"... The floor, the walls, and the ceiling are all wood. I was told my wall panels are "old growth redwood", but that pattern with knots does not look like redwood to me (see pictures 1 and 2); looks more like pine wood....
Pictures 1 and 2 look just like my beautiful redwood fence outside. There are occasional knots because, although I got a very good grade of redwood, it is not "clear", which is a term used for redwood with no visible knots.

Really old growth redwood would come from a larger tree, typically, and thus you would be less likely to see knots. Knots represent branches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House