Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:27 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

I have a house that is very "woody"... The floor, the walls, and the ceiling are all wood. I was told my wall panels are "old growth redwood", but that pattern with knots does not look like redwood to me (see pictures 1 and 2); looks more like pine wood.

I would like to replace the either the ceiling or the walls with sheet rock. Here I include pictures from other houses to illustrate the effect (picture 3 & 4).

Do you think I will be adding to the value of the house by doing that?

Good idea?  Replace wood panel wall with sheetrock-wall1.jpg

Good idea?  Replace wood panel wall with sheetrock-wall2.jpg

Good idea?  Replace wood panel wall with sheetrock-wall3.jpg

Good idea?  Replace wood panel wall with sheetrock-wall4.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I have a house that is very "woody"...
I would like to replace the either the ceiling or the walls with sheet rock.
Do you think I will be adding to the value of the house by doing that?
Do you have reason to believe you will want or need to sell in the next ten years?

If so... then don't spend the money or take the risk inherent to this level of cosmetic change.
otoh... if you will be staying for the duration then make the house the way YOU want it to be.
but if you do... do a really good job of it.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you have reason to believe you will want or need to sell in the next ten years?

If so... then don't spend the money or take the risk inherent to this level of cosmetic change.
otoh... if you will be staying for the duration then make the house the way YOU want it to be.
but if you do... do a really good job of it.
I do intend to keep the house for a long time.

Perhaps I should broaden my question beyond just value, to also include the aesthetics (understand there is a level of personal taste)... Would a sheet rock wall with nice color paint make the place more modern and elegant?

Below is a more holistic view of my place... very "woody"

Good idea?  Replace wood panel wall with sheetrock-dsc06306-large-.jpg

Old 05-06-2017, 05:12 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Does it fit the style of the house? Meaning is the design rustic?

Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Does it fit the style of the house? Meaning is the design rustic?
Yes it does. It a cabin/bungalow type of dwelling with the rustic look. I feel sheet rock with soft color paint will offer a more comfortable feel.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:44 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Yes it does. It a cabin/bungalow type of dwelling with the rustic look. I feel sheet rock with soft color paint will offer a more comfortable feel.
OK, that makes it a more difficult decision.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Below is a more holistic view of my place... very "woody"
That may be; but the vac sure looks lonely and lost!

Anyway- onward and upward!
Either direction has pro's and con's- just a matter of which you would prefer. I would do the ceilings- gives more height to the rooms and would have a reflective quality to natural or artificial light. But, because it's the ceiling it would also be abit more expensive.

Doing the walls gives you the option of colors- but you can do that to the paneling so I consider doing the walls in drywall a waste of money.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:02 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Just curious why you bought a cabin style house if you don't like it.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:14 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Your walls are beautiful. The bedroom ceiling is stunning. Anybody can slap drywall on their walls, but the construction of your home is a product of skill and design. Consider that anybody looking for a cabin style bungalow will love the look. I can assure you that I would pick a home with quality wood paneling over drywall. If you're sick and tired of all the wood, change one room, or just 3 walls in one room, and keep the wood on the fourth wall as an accent wall. If you decide to paint the wood (which I would consider a sacrilege), consider doing a transparent pale wash instead of opaque paint, just to lighten it up.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 PM

534 posts, read 489,342 times
First you determine what is really bothering you about the place. Is it that it feels dark? Heavy? Too textured? Busy? Country? What is appealing to you about painted sheetrock? Smooth texture? Color? Low key? (I am at loss as to how painted sheetrock could make a house more elegant, you'd have to use a beautiful smooth plaster or expensive wallpaper for that!) Maybe you just are tired of what you have been living with and are craving change?

Once you know what's really bothering you, your decision is easier. I personally like the natural wood, but I also like brightness of white painted wood. I recently saw an online house tour where the wood walls and ceilings were painted white in some areas and left natural in others, and the combination was stunning. If you want your rustic cabin to have the modern 'luxury' condo or flipped-house-formula look, then yes, probably sheetrockng is necessary (although you may also need to add back in wood--shiplap--and hang some barn doors). But any other look can happen with the wood walls as a natural backdrop, either plain or painted. It's an excellent base.

Your home is unique! I think if you embrace that, sheetrock will be a lot less alluring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House