Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,722 times

Advertisements

I came across this product recently, and it looks like the perfect solution for resurfacing the old concrete on my screened porch. I haven't found a lot of online reviews, but for the most part they're positive with a just a few complaints about difficulty in applying it. Anyone here ever used this stuff? Any tips or words of wisdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Personally, I think it looks like crap-

If there's was any chance of using it- it would be on concrete. Decks? No way Jose'!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
I have a screen covered porch with a poured concrete floor. Two years ago I painted the concrete with Rustoleum Epoxy Shield Floor Paint. One part epoxy paint. My concrete was 6 months old and in good condition. I did not acid wash it.

When washing down the screen porch recently I took a good hard look at the paint job and it looked fine. If I have the energy or need then I will repaint it next year. This says I have gotten at least 3 years from it and maybe more. The porch does get wet but not rained directly on. Also no freezing issues here. I would not power wash it. When I clean it I use one of those attaches to your garden hose type house washes and a light brush scrubbing.

I considered two part epoxy, ceramic tiling, etc. before going with the paint.

I am satisfied with the product.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
...resurfacing the old concrete on my screened porch... Any tips or words of wisdom?
Good paint jobs are all about establishing "tooth" with what is being covered.
Old things, painted multiple times, often over a very long period are the hardest to do.
Commonly... an oil based primer is a reasonable compromise on walls and wood.

On concrete though...
After pressure washing and wire brushing, even beyond just the loose stuff, you'll still never
likely to get down to one consistent level or coat to be painted over and get that tooth on.

iow... if you want a really good job you'll need more than "all in one can" solutions.
And probably something more toxic (like acid etching) than is meant for an enclosed
living space before you even get to the coating stage of the job.

hth

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,722 times
Thanks for the replies so far.

KB, as I said, I am looking at putting this on a concrete floor, not a deck, and from the photos I've seen the end results look pretty good (certainly better than the floor looks now). You can lightly back brush after applying to give a smoother finish, so perhaps what you've seen was left rough.

Accufit, this product is different from the epoxy floor paint product. This stuff is a very thick coating, and looks similar to the bedliner material used for pickup trucks.

Mr. Rational, "tooth" is not a problem here. The concrete already has a very rough surface, as it was formerly an open patio and a screened porch was built around it later. There is no loose stuff, nor coats of anything else...just a bare concrete surface that was made rough by a sweeping technique while curing. I don't expect any problems at all with adherence.

Has anyone actually used this product?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:43 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,207 times
I'm interested in this product for use on my old concrete pool deck. Surface is intact, just very rough after being weathered for decades.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
I just had a neighbor recommend this for a worn deck. She spoke highly of the results she got, but I haven't seen it. I did pick up a brochure at Lowe's with color samples, but so far haven't given much consideration to it. It does seem expensive given the coverage. I'd be interested in hearing other's experience with it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 35,306 times
how does this product hold up with mold and can it be put on a composite floating dock

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 35,294 times
Default This stuff better last a looooong time....

Because unlike the commercial, which indicates that Restore is inexpensive and easy to apply, it is anything but. Thank God I had a coupon at Lowes that saved me a bit, because this ain't cheap. And as far as ease of application, that is total bunk. This stuff is like working with thick oatmeal. It is very difficult to apply to anything but a very flat surface. Deck board are warped, pitted and often uneven. You have to go over the same spot 6, 8, 10 times with the roller before it's covered, unless it's perfectly even and flat.
Would I buy this product again? Not likely. I'd have to consider other products knowing what I know now.
If you do buy it, don't put it on in direct sunlight. Don't do it on a hot day. It dries too quickly and you'll end up with tracks where edges have dried before you could get back to them. And just try to do spindles and rails! No way. It's basically impossible to use a roller for those areas. And if you just use a brush, it comes out looking real bad. In my case I just bought a Cabot product and stained the spindles and foot rails. The hand rail was a pain, but I did it with the small roller and it looks okay.
Like I said, this stuff had better last because it's very difficult to use and it costs fairly big bucks.
Good luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 33,094 times
I used it on my deck and love it. The best thing I did was watch a couple short YouTube videos on using the products. That was very helpful. I found the cleaner to be very easy to use and didn't have to use a lot at all. The restore was slow to put on, but it turned out great. I used it on my front veranda which I rebuilt last summer. It isn't a huge area and used approximately 4 gallons of the restore. ($130) I don't consider this that bad since it helps to make sure that my stairs and veranda aren't slippery with water or snow on them. My friends and family are just as impressed with the results as I am. It looks good. I plan on doing my back deck next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House