Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 04:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdSt View Post
I'm just worried that if we kill all the weeds now there will be nothing left.
It looks like it's 80% weeds out there.
That's better than letting them remain.

You can throw down some quick germinating seed if it makes you feel better.
But it's not going to root well enough to last through the summer heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Think of it as cleaning a room out to redecorate and the slowly putting it back together. If you didn't empty the room, you wouldn't be able to do a good job.

A short season of ugly will transform to many years of beauty.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Kill off the weeds now, get some seed ready, and call your nearest feed/tack store for some "Soybean Meal and Alfalfa Meal". The "meal" part is important, unless if you feel like feeding every rodent and bird within a 1/2 mile radius. I've seen people use the pellets before, and watched nearly every squirrel, rabbit, chipmonk, and crow get fat and happy, while the lawn does nothing.

1) Spray to kill the weeds.
2) Give it 4 weeks for the herbicide to fade away
3) Cover the yard with the new seed and include
4) A heavy cover of the Soybean and Alfalfa at the same time.
5) Water daily, don't let it dry out.

In about 7 days, you're going to smell like a garbage dump. It'll last for a couple of days (it's the soybeans breaking down into the soil).

In about 20 days, you're going to be very happy with what you see.

Soybean's are heavy in proteins and fats, which grass seeds respond to quickly and love! The alfalfa is loaded with other nutrients that will also make them germinate and explode quickly. Also, your existing grass will go nuts too. Blades will widen out, will thicken up dramatically, and you'll be happy to see grass that you thought you didn't have, start to grow. If you think I'm just blowing smoke here, know this - the National Parks Department here in DC uses this exact stuff for all of the public museums to keep their lawns lush, green, and repaired from the millions of tourists who walk all over them, including the Monument, White House and Mall area. They can't be throwing down heavy chemicals all the time due to public usage. Soybean Meal and Alfalfa Meal are key for them too.

Don't worry about the heat. With exception of winter, I've grown grass from March to October before. Last August I had a 10x10 section of my yard go completely dead. I had a huge pile of tree limbs on the lawn for about 3 weeks, which killed everything underneath. I did this procedure (which I've done for years), and in 3 weeks, the grass was back.

The trick is to not seed too soon after you've sprayed the herbicide. Read the labels first. For instance, I use TZone SE. It's a month waiting period to put down new seed, otherwise the herbicide will block the germination process.

DriveXLR8 and Tenacity, can be used at the same time as seeding however, but they won't get the broadleaf weeds out nearly as well as the TZone SE will.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:26 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,495,356 times
Install artificial turf.

Artificial Grass - Park Furnishings - Parks, Playsets & Playhouses - Playsets & Recreation - The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House