Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 06:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old home has a fiberglass? garden tub unit with a shower. I see a modular system with 4 pieces. Tub and 3 walls. Well now I have decided to replace it with a walk-in shower. I will hire someone to do it. In my initial looking about I see two solutions:

1. Ceramic tiling which seems to be a 4-7 day project.

2. Acrylic wall system which seems to be modular and 2-3 day project.

I am more of a is it functional versus aesthetics type person. Meaning does it do the job versus its beauty.

Appreciate comments on quality, pricing etc.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
1. Ceramic tiling
2. Acrylic wall system

Appreciate comments on quality, pricing etc.
Start with the assumption that a pro tile install is the gold standard...
and get a solid quote for that approach; simple white tile.

Then see how much you can save with a quality acrylic wall installation.
Decide based on how much the known/anticipated savings means to you.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I'd suggest looking at the Laticrete Company website and see if they have a Certified Installer in your area. The company is known for their shower surrounds and waterproofing. A certified installer IS A MUST FOR THIS PRODUCT.
pics;
https://www.google.com/search?q=lati...w=1536&bih=731

Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Start with the assumption that a pro tile install is the gold standard...
and get a solid quote for that approach; simple white tile.

Then see how much you can save with a quality acrylic wall installation.
Decide based on how much the known/anticipated savings means to you.
Thanks

That is my present thinking. My neighbor is having a pro install. Her home is similar to mine and I know what it is costing her. It seems the difference in fancy versus basic white tile is not that much. The main cost is the person ripping out the old, prepping the area, and installing the tile and door ($2,700.00). Her tile, grout, and door material cost is about $800.00 (mid level tile/door, which she bought separately). Her end cost will be about $3,500.00 which is reasonable to me. As I see her project, I want less fancy tile but a more expensive door (clear glass, no frame).

I am going to take some pics and measurements then visit 3 local bath re-doer business showrooms within the next few days. I will have them price it out with tile and acrylic. Part of it is I am willing to pay more for a turn key, I do nothing job. I believe in the one butt to kick philosophy. If things go wrong I want one butt to kick.

I did talk to her person doing the job and he seemed nervous when I discussed him doing a turn key job. He said if the person picked/bought their own tile then they could not come back on him for aesthetic reasons. I can understand hip point of view but I want to one butt to kick.......LOL

Old 05-29-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I'd suggest looking at the Laticrete Company website and see if they have a Certified Installer in your area. The company is known for their shower surrounds and waterproofing. A certified installer IS A MUST FOR THIS PRODUCT.
pics;
https://www.google.com/search?q=lati...w=1536&bih=731
I did look at their site but they seem more a product seller versus one stop shopping. I want one stop shopping. One butt to kick if I am not happy.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
If you want only one butt to kick, you should probably look for a general contractor. You'll pay a premium, but it's his job to kick all the other butts.

Is there plumbing involved? Will the faucets and drain need to be moved? If you go the tile route, the sheetrock walls behind the tub enclosure will need to be replaced with cement board. You may also need some carpentry work to install blocking for the new door and frame a niche (if you install one).

Even seemingly simple jobs have a funny way of becoming more complicated. I can understand a tile guy being hesitant to take on the whole thing.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 698,641 times
Question:

How long do you plan on staying in the house? If you plan on selling in the next 5-7 years, I'd go for the tile route. It will add significant value over a cheap plastic insert.

Something like:

Old 05-29-2017, 11:20 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,242,236 times
And add a seat. They are darn handy.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
We went with tile that matched the floor tile, but in 9x9 size instead of 20x20. There is also a built in shelf and a corner seat. Looks really nice and we're very happy with it.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:37 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Function over beauty is practical. But beauty sells! If I were to update one of the two most desirable areas, a bathroom or a kitchen, I'd go with something that would enhance the value of my investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House