Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:58 AM

9 posts, read 26,092 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and would love to get your opinion on this. I am looking to buy a townhome and trying to understand how important is it for the master bathroom to have a tub for resale purposes.

What's your personal preference and/or experience? Do you think having a tub in the master bathroom is essential (even though the other bathrooms in the house has them)? How often you use it, if you do have one. Would you not consider buying a house if the master bath didn't have a tub? Or would you be perfectly happy with a large shower stall?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn_gal View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and would love to get your opinion on this. I am looking to buy a townhome and trying to understand how important is it for the master bathroom to have a tub for resale purposes.

What's your personal preference and/or experience? Do you think having a tub in the master bathroom is essential (even though the other bathrooms in the house has them)? How often you use it, if you do have one. Would you not consider buying a house if the master bath didn't have a tub? Or would you be perfectly happy with a large shower stall?
Thanks!
I once owned a house with a large master bath which had both a shower stall and a jacuzzi tub. I can count on one hand the number of times we used the tub. We now have a large shower stall only and a tub in the second bath. As you get older, if you have to shower in the tub it can be quite dangerous climbing in and out of the tub. For safety's sake I would choose the bathroom with the shower stall.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Absolutely must-have.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
I think that if you have at least one bathroom with a tub in the home, it's not necessary to have one in your master bath. (and this is coming from a frequent bath taker)

Now, if you have a home that has a luxurious and huge master bath, I would go for the bathtub with separate shower stall.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 AM

9 posts, read 26,092 times
Thanks for your replies! I should add that we have a choice of having a soaking tub and nice sized shower stall (would fit 2 people) or going with a bigger size stall only. The second option would give us an extra closet which can be opened from outside. There's already a linen closet in the bathroom.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn_gal View Post
Thanks for your replies! I should add that we have a choice of having a soaking tub and nice sized shower stall (would fit 2 people) or going with a bigger size stall only. The second option would give us an extra closet which can be opened from outside. There's already a linen closet in the bathroom.
Personally, I would go with Option 1.

Soaking tub > extra closet I really don't need

But...that's just my own opinion.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
How do you wash the dog without at least one tub?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
Since you just want opinions, I am not a bath taker, so I don't need one. However, I would never buy a house without a tub because sometimes you do need it, especially if you have kids. So as someone else said, as long as you have one bathroom with a tub, I would be fine with it. I like the second option, more closet space, especially for a townhouse which might be short on storage options.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM

127 posts, read 355,866 times
We bought a house with a large shower in the master and a small tub in the guest bathroom. Although the large shower is nice and it's quite handy to wash the dog we'll probably remodel the master bath. We both like taking baths and the one bathtub we have sucks big time.
I'd go with option 1, for sure!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,586 times
My wife and I live in a 3-Bed, 2.5 Bath townhouse, and only the hallway bathroom has a tub. The master Bathroom has just a shower stall. It's no big deal at all, since I shower exclusively. Like someone else said, as long as there is one tub in the house for kids/dogs, it should be enough.

It certainly wasn't an issue when we bought the place, I'd have to imagine there are enough buyers out there who wouldn't care either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia