Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,072,688 times

Advertisements

I have been going through my past photography looking for images to make super enlargements out of. In doing so, I've come across pics from the apartments, such as of pets, and I've noticed that with the pictures in the backgrounds, there is that feel of the clutter (to put it mildly) that existed back then.

I suppose it might just be the memories (perhaps something I always have when I think of the apartments) or how much I was trying to cram my art work on limited apartment walls. It might be, as well, the degraded state of my frames but that is now being in addressed in a new framing project.

Part of that framing project is a mixture, from (for large prints) flat frames to those that project a little off the walls. The smaller prints are almost all box frames.

The question is does having walls covered in pictures, in mirrors generate a cluttered feeling in a person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,365,804 times
It depends on the person. Does it feel cluttered to you? If it does, edit your walls and only leave the art/photos you like best. Don't hang them too high like many do, and make eye pleasing arrangements of the ones you keep.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:15 AM

22,910 posts, read 6,453,735 times
Too much artwork on the walls is, to me, the same as too many knick knacks on the tables.
Sometimes there is a section of several artwork pieces displayed together that look nice, but
walls can look cluttered if it is overdone.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,072,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Too much artwork on the walls is, to me, the same as too many knick knacks on the tables.
Sometimes there is a section of several artwork pieces displayed together that look nice, but
walls can look cluttered if it is overdone.
That's a good point and thank you......for I was about to go that direction. I inherited a lot of pictures of the family and one of them, a picture of my Mom's parents, from WWII or before, I had probably never seen before until today.....and I was thinking of where it should go.

One gets like that when they end up being the family's archivist.

Hang the pictures which are important to you, not just because they happen to be in your possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
It depends on the person. Does it feel cluttered to you? If it does, edit your walls and only leave the art/photos you like best. Don't hang them too high like many do, and make eye pleasing arrangements of the ones you keep.
As things go, I just got off the ladder from hanging a water color, a SE Asia boat scene, that I admire growing up in my parents' house. Up there on the ladder, looking down on the great room, it hit me how cluttered it was ...... but that is moving in for one.

As for the water color, I did put it next to the ceiling for a few reasons. It is of my childhood but it is not of now so it is a place where I can see it, where I can remember, but there are much more current things. The location it is in does not hang over a door way so if the mountings fail, there is less of a danger of it falling on someone. Finally, as a pure unprotected water color, it is in a location where the cats can't pee on it.

My "under the stairway" wall is the wall in the guest part of the house. It may get other memory pieces, such as Kurz & Allison Civil War prints (after reframing), but I think that most of my family pictures, such as those found on the under the stairway wall, will be memories associated with growing up..................

........................while the "active" walls will be my art work and that associated with my fantasy life .. or gifts from lovers.

Ie, THIS IS ME!

Thank you.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-17-2017 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,352,032 times
Too much on the walls feels cluttered, too little and it feels cold and temporary.

Trying to find the balance is what decorating is all about.

I've taken to putting personal photos of the kids, grandkids etc... in bedrooms. All the grandkids are in the bedroom that is designated for the kids. Twin beds and one wall has all the grands in different stage of growing. It really looks cool.

My parents, siblings and kids are displayed in my office. Kids and spouses are in my bedroom.

Artwork is in all the other rooms.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I have been going through my past photography looking for images to make super enlargements out of. In doing so, I've come across pics from the apartments, such as of pets, and I've noticed that with the pictures in the backgrounds, there is that feel of the clutter (to put it mildly) that existed back then.

I suppose it might just be the memories (perhaps something I always have when I think of the apartments) or how much I was trying to cram my art work on limited apartment walls. It might be, as well, the degraded state of my frames but that is now being in addressed in a new framing project.

Part of that framing project is a mixture, from (for large prints) flat frames to those that project a little off the walls. The smaller prints are almost all box frames.

The question is does having walls covered in pictures, in mirrors generate a cluttered feeling in a person?
Yes! In fact my picture wall, hung to be viewed from my living area distresses me every time I see it.

If you must hang many pics, I think you need to hang them close together, almost to create a wallpaper look. And leave at least one wall space in every room plain. If you can't leave an entire wall unhung, find a way to leave other wall space vacant.

I do love a gallery wall. But I suspect that in a normal sized home, one gallery wall per home is probably optimal. However, this is not a rule, and anyway rules are made to be broken.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 PM

5,857 posts, read 5,304,187 times
Does this wall look cluttered?

Cat

Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 PM

30,629 posts, read 16,299,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat

It does to me. But if the people were friends or relatives, I'd probably see the memories, not the photos.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:16 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,326,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post

Cat
yes.. the way gram's got all the photo's spaced so far apart and spread out looks very clutterish..

is that a word?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,670,491 times
I just had my house painted. I love the color and the difference in the warmth of the color at different times of the day. I haven't hung a thing.

I am a senior and this is my last house. I took family pictures out of frames and scanned then to share. I sold the frames

Art and mirrors I sit on the floor, leaning against the wall. They could go anytime. The color on the walls is my art.

I do like textiles. Quilts cover my sofa (my only piece of living room furniture) and my bed, and act as drapes, My house is very small. painted all the same color and has no interior doors.

It is the opposite of clutterish (I like that word ) and also the opposite of how I have lived for most of my life.

It is very easy to keep clean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House