Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I recently bought a house and hired a contractor to do a few things before we moved in.

When checking on the progress, I was shocked to see a water bowl on the living room floor and a bowl of dog food. When I got upset, the contractor put the blame on me for being "thin skinned" and said his medium sized dog goes with him to all his jobs and I am the first to complain.

The guy's workmanship is good, but I told him the dog should not come with.

On the last day, I checked back and dog was chained in my backyard.

Very unprofessional to bring your dog ( or kids) with to jobsite just because you don't want them left alone at home.

Is this common ?
no and you dont have to put up with it.

I had i guy working for me, and one day he shows up with his 15 year old kid who was going to be his helper for the day.

I paid him half day and asked him to leave. He should have asked. My insurance does not cover kids on a work site! I mean what was he thinking? if this was 1975 well sure, but these days if the kid broke his arm i could find myself on the hook for thousands and god forbid he really got hurt, i would be bankrupt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Having someone work on your house is a business transaction. No one, human or pet, who is not doing the job in the contract should be on site, period. Insurance, liability, etc.

It's amazing how I grew up in a world where people's dogs stayed at home without dying or getting emotional complexes or whatever the excuse is these days. The people went to work, came home and enjoyed their dogs. Got a dog walker or someone to stop in to give them a quick run around. Now some pet owners seem to believe their poor pooch will DIE or get a mental disorder if they're left alone for any amount of time... or if they themselves are without their dogs for a few hours they'll do so.

Some people are just nuts about their pets these days.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay I see nothing wrong with it and some people just have a corn cob up their butt about something . I have three dogs and I have a very clean home so that is a sorry issue and if you are that allergic then maybe you should do the work yourself and not hire anybody . I think it would surprise a lot of you that some people have more germs than dogs . I'm sorry but I am so tired of people complaining about something every day . You are blessed to have a house and remember there are people in this world who don't , people in this country seem to forget how blessed they truly are .
I own a 12 foot boa constrictor and a 5 foot long lizard as beloved pets. Okay if I bring them into your house without your permission first?

Old 06-23-2017, 02:00 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
... if you are that allergic then maybe you should do the work yourself and not hire anybody .
Let me get this straight. If someone is allergic to dogs, then they shouldn't hire a contractor to work on their house? WTF kind of stupid thinking is this?

Old 06-23-2017, 03:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I own a 12 foot boa constrictor and a 5 foot long lizard as beloved pets. Okay if I bring them into your house without your permission first?

What are you 17 yrs old cause honestly that remark sounds like something a teenager would say . LOL .

Old 06-23-2017, 03:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
okay I see nothing wrong with it and some people just have a corn cob up their butt about something . I have three dogs and I have a very clean home so that is a sorry issue and if you are that allergic then maybe you should do the work yourself and not hire anybody . I think it would surprise a lot of you that some people have more germs than dogs . I'm sorry but I am so tired of people complaining about something every day . You are blessed to have a house and remember there are people in this world who don't , people in this country seem to forget how blessed they truly are .

this post has me wondering if it wasn't posted by a troll just to get a reaction !

Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
I love dogs but the owners are out of control. It seems like everyone is taking their dog everywhere these days under the guise that it's a therapy dog. If the dog isn't at home it should be hunting, at a park/beach, going for a walk, or at the vet...that's it.

Also, I see people, usually millennials, owning large dogs while living in a condo. That's just cruel. Get an aquarium or better yet, an ant farm.

Yep. I want to get an acreage because people have this self entitled attitude like they can just let their dogs do whatever they want without proper training. Put em in the yard go to work and let em bark all day, among other things. I'd be happy if everyone around me took their dogs to work with em lol. There's only one super bad one near me though... Cody who owns the gas station and auto body shop here in aurora, SD.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:23 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,607,287 times
The contractor should respect your wishes. However the people telling you to not pay him are setting you up for some legal trouble. They are internet warriors and don't care if you get slapped with a lawsuit or lien.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Tell him to take his f'ing dog home and never come back, and don't even think of giving you a bill.
Yes this is exactly what I would say!

I am HIGHLY allergic to dogs and can't have one in my house. This would be a dealbreaker for me. I have done lots of remodeling and had work on my houses in several states and never once have I had someone bring a dog into my residence. Believe me, I would have been able to tell when my throat started swelling shut even if I didn't catch them in the act.

This is the height of unprofessionalism. Leave the pets at home or don't expect to get paid.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:54 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Having someone work on your house is a business transaction. No one, human or pet, who is not doing the job in the contract should be on site, period. Insurance, liability, etc.

It's amazing how I grew up in a world where people's dogs stayed at home without dying or getting emotional complexes or whatever the excuse is these days. The people went to work, came home and enjoyed their dogs. Got a dog walker or someone to stop in to give them a quick run around. Now some pet owners seem to believe their poor pooch will DIE or get a mental disorder if they're left alone for any amount of time... or if they themselves are without their dogs for a few hours they'll do so.

Some people are just nuts about their pets these days.
I feel sorry for the dogs who are forced to hang around with these needy people all day. Poor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House